Does Tragedy Really Bring Us Closer to God?

i do not think so. Sometimes, Christians family face trouble, they are far away from God.

Yes, but only for the people who have faith in God.

Not Only in a Tragedy, Its a sad part also because we need a tragedy for us to bring closer to our God. We need to open our hearts and listen to HIM. Just pray for HIM, he is waiting for us to come. He is everywhere taking care of us. To day we born up until now. Even though we did’t see HIM just walk by faith . I would say so because i walk by faith Not by Sight. Lord God he is my strength. Amen Lord . We Praise you Lord Jesus Christ!

Yes it will bring us closer to God but not all people. God use tragedy because He wants us to give us a lesson so we can learned about it and to bring us closer to God. Based in my experience.

I think God is just testing our character when he gave us terrible experience and pain. We humans usually sees GOD when we’re in need of him but when we are in luck we forgot him. I hope this message makes sense for all of us.

@Joseph Sometimes God put us in difficult paths because we have to experience downfalls in order to make progress. These experiences will shape our identity, and prepare us for even bigger challenges. He wants to make us stronger. That tragedy is making us stronger. He wants us to have stronger faith, not weak limbs.
What looks like “tragedy” is actually a step forward to a greater joy that is coming. But for now, keep enduring. Keep fighting. Breakthrough is coming.
He will never caused us pain without reasons. Always remember that God will never take anything away from us without the intention of replacing it with something better.

God moves in mysterious ways. We also have to think about the tragedies that come to our way because it really depends on what and who caused it. But for me, this is where our faith is tested. Whenever things go wrong we begin to question Him, which I think is sad and a bit normal because as humans, we get a little lost and confused sometimes.

This is an old post/question but it is timely to answer or to reflect with our current situation. Tragedy, pandemic or whatever term we may use will really bring us closer to God, or to some people it may also be reason for them to question God. Our reaction defines our personality and most importantly defines our faith in God. God has His reasons why things in this world happen, and that message of a tragic event varies to each and everyone. To some people it could be a faith testing event, to some it could be a call to repentance, and to others it God’s way of telling them how much He misses them. So it now depends on us how we cry out to God and discover the His purpose through our intimate prayer, the assurance is He will answer.

God gave us freewill. When we are little, we are trained to differentiate what is right from wrong but as we grow older, we still do things even if we know that it is bad. Without pain and suffering, we will not realize the worth of our decisions. “For perseverance produces character, character produces hope.” Romans 5:4 God is close; He supplies our needs. He only wants the best for His people.

Hello there, dear @Joseph
While is easy to get confused and assume such a thing, it’s not that way. Your friend opinion comes from ignorance and pedantry.
First, God doesn’t want us to suffer, he’s not actively making plans on how to cause a tragedy to you or me, he is a loving father. One that made us and the whole world, he made us with free will do we can make our own decisions and he made the world work in his own way too.
What happens is that when facing a tragedy or something they don’t like, all of the people like your friend, start praying and talking to God. Only remembering him when they want a magical solution to problems. After it passes they forget God again, and the cycle repeats. It’s a pretty cynical way of living.
What we must do, is to act and have God in our minds all the time, to have true happiness, with it even when facing tragedies or bad times we’ll be able to be victorious and rejoice with God blessings.
Kind regards