Is masturbation sin?

Some of the circles of friends I am in (mind you most of them are Christians) say that masturbation is not sin. Is there a verse in the bible that says masturbation is a sin?

1 Like

Well, the first verse that comes to mind is this:

Matthew 5:27-28 New King James Version (NKJV)
Adultery in the Heart
27 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

If someone could somehow masturbate without lustful thoughts (perhaps that would be night emissions) then I suppose it could be “not a sin”. But generally speaking, we lust when we masturbate, and lust is “Adultery in the Heart” which Jesus says is the same as plain old adultery, which is a sin in the 10 Commandments. That makes it a sin in the Old Testament and updated by Jesus Christ Himself in the New Testament, meaning it counts for Christians too. So, yes, it is a sin.

2 Likes

Thank you @Sunami_Carpenter

I think its a yes.
You are creating a sexual imagination with someone. Its a sin.
and you are doing things that you must do after marriage. You are learning things that can affect your thinking in life. It will lead you to a sinful life. I know its hard to contain because of the technology nowadays. But its mind over matter and keep on praying harder.

@Sunami_Carpenter, Thank you for enlightened me about this. I can’t deny that I have done this kind of lust. I agree with you @arrol it’s really hard to disregard the temptations because of technologies, yes that’s it also. And Yes it is mind over matter definitely. I commit sins with kind of actions, I don’t want to reason-out only that I’m just a man or human being but I pray to overcome not just me but also other man like me who are tempted to do so, maybe because human need. I don’t know! But to be honest, when I did masturbation I repent after… :frowning:

Yes, I think masturbation is a sin. It is an act of executing temptation to satisfy one’s sexual desires. If you search for its meaning in google, masturbation is done to relieve tension that builds up over time. (Masturbation - Is Masturbation Normal or Harmful? Who Masturbates? Why Do People Masturbate?) Most people also uses a medium to increase their level of orgasm to reach their desired satisfaction. The body is a temple of the holy spirit that we should respect since it is not ours, it is God’s.

Yes its a sin! Stop goofing off; stop being foolish; take it seriously. One of the biggest deceits that you will hear about this subject is that masturbation is actually healthy for you since it makes you feel good and it doesn’t hurt anybody. If you buy into that notion, it won’t be long until you’ll be hooked to this addiction of pleasing yourself. If you don’t take this matter seriously, you will be its slave for a long, long time.
I hope that this has been a help to you. For those of you who are struggling with this problem, I want to encourage you with this … fight the good fight … have faith in God … trust in Him. And if you fail, remember this: God still loves you! Whenever you fall, He will pick you up if you call out to Him. “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9 ). Praise Him for that! God’s blessings to you.

@Bhert it’s not really “mind over matter”. It’s more Holy Spirit over our hearts.
This might help even more: