Moses' Devotions

I love to post my devotions here. Feel free to read and post your comments :slight_smile: God bless!

1 Like

I am trying to reflect on Ephesians 6:12 today.

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

There are many types of struggles in life. Everyone have their own struggles. Paul in this verse says that our struggle is not against the flesh and blood.

I used to think like this before. If my struggle is against something that is physical or visible or a strong person I can do physical body training to build myself up and fight.

While this can be true for some, in my day to day life my struggle is not against body that has flesh and blood but this is against something invisible. Most of the times I lose this battle because enemy who is trying to defeat me is not something not visible.

My enemy is powers of this dark world and evil spiritual forces. Powers of dark and evil spiritual forces does not come out with scary faces but usually very quiet. I don’t even know it exist. But it is a slow poison. It kills slowly.

Paul says we are attacked by the rulers and the authorities of evil forces. These are not just some small force but the strongest forces. This forces are something that threaten my spiritual life.

As I read and meditate this verse I realize the importance of knowing what am I struggling against? If I do not know what am I struggling against, I will not be able to prepare any precautionary steps to protect myself against the enemy.

Amen

Previous (2 Corinthians 12:10)
Next (Ephesians 6:13)

1 Like

I am thinking about 2 Corinthians 12:10 today!

That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

3 things that caught my attention as I read this verse are - Christ’s sake, insults, hardships, persecutions and difficulties, weakness and strength.

Paul’s delight in weakness is not for himself but he does this for the sake of Christ. I am able to see Paul’s deep love for Christ. Paul had this nature of fighting against his own self. There are many of his verses that talk about this. There are desires of the flesh which are contrary to the desires of the spirit. But he beat up his body and train himself to be godly, to be a lover of Christ. This is something very admirable about Paul. He took the love and the blood of Christ that was shed for him very seriously. He delights in weakness not for his own benefit but for the sake of Christ.

As he preached and tried to live a faithful and godly life he faced - insults. Everyone in their hearts has this deep need and longing to be loved and accepted. But Paul was insulted which means he was not accepted for who he is. Hardships - there were times he had to endure difficult times. Persecutions - He had to go through persecutions from believers, non-believers - the whole world seemed was against him and many other endless difficulties. These bitter experiences was his life. He was powerless and defenseless in front of many terrible events.

But he confessed that when he is weak he is strong. He is not fighting back or grumbling against all this his heart went through. Rather he submitted himself to this pain quietly hoping that God’s power would cover him and his testimony is that though he is weak he is strong. This is something unusual. When I am weak it means that I am weak. But God’s power took over Paul as he brought out his weaknesses in front of God.

Amen

Previous (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Next (Ephesians 6:12)

2 Likes

Today I want to think about belt of truth - the first part of the armor of God from Ephesians 6:14

Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place,

Paul exhorts the believers of Jesus to put on the full armor of God. Salvation is something that is given to a Christian and the journey of faith begins. Salvation is not the end but the beginning of the journey of faith. Though a Christian begins his journey of faith by receiving this gift from God, there is a part that he/she needs to do to enjoy a healthy spiritual life and experience spiritual growth.

Putting on the armor of God is something like that. Though God gives grace, I need to believe in the grace of God and go through the process of spiritual training. Paul doesn’t say keep waiting God will give the armor of God rather he says put on the armor, which means this is something I need to do.

From verses 14-17 Paul gives a list of parts in the armor of God that a believer should wear. Clothes are symbols of attitude/character/deeds in the bible. (Colossians 3:12)

First comes the belt of truth. I wondered why Paul compares truth to belt. After referring to some articles I realized that belt is something that holds everything together. It is definitely not the modern day belt which comes to mind when I read this passage. It is the belt of a roman soldier. It is quiet big and strong enough to hold everything together.

The foundation of my spiritual life is the truth. It is not prophesy, it is not gift of tongues, it is not healing, it is not miracles and not any other thing. Truth is something that holds everything together.

Today’s world largely believes in relativism. Relativism is belief that there is no absolute truth except for the truth that relativism is true. Where there is no truth, there is no stability, no order and everything is chaotic.

Without the foundation of the truth I am unable to hold on to anything stable in life and making in worse I start to believe lies of Satan and follow his deception. Though many times we tend to take a neutral position in faith, the truth is there is no neutral position in faith. Either I am influenced by the truth or I am influenced by lies. Man is a being that cannot live without believing in something. No one can say I don’t believe anything. He either believes truth or a lie.

Realizing this importance of truth and its importance in the life of faith Paul brings it out first that one need to wear the belt of truth to hold it all together.

Amen

Previous (Ephesians 6:14)
Next (Psalms 1)

2 Likes

Continuing from yesterday, I am thinking about Ephesians 6:13 today.

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

3 things can be noted in this verse.

A. Full armor of God
B. Day of Evil
C. Stand your ground

One of the very challenging thing as we read the Bible, especially from the perspective of today’s very -Paul’s letters, it is not quiet easy to catch what he is talking about, unless you read the verse so many times and become familiar with it. The reason is Paul describes a lot about the unseen realities.

One can question, if it is necessary to see the unseen realities. I think it is very important for one to perceive and be aware of the unseen realities as our God Himself is unseen. Without being able to see the unseen realities one might get lost in the world of flesh.

Since it is hard to give words to the spiritual realities, Apostle Paul gives form to those realities through the things that can be seen. While he says put on the armor of God, he doesn’t mean for me to look for a physical armor. Rather armor of God connotes something spiritual and unseen.

As the dark forces (invisible to the eyes of the flesh) from yesterday’s verse attacks us - spiritual beings - we need to have something spiritual in us to protect ourselves from these attacks which we lack most of the times. Therefore we fall during these attacks.

Second he talks about the day of Evil. Day of evil in a personal sense can be the day when my faith is tested by the evil forces.

Third standing your ground. The goal of Satan/dark forces attacking a person is to forget God, desert the faith that I hold on to. Faith is holding on. If I am unable to hold on it is same as losing my faith. Without the armor of God it is impossible to stand on the ground which means I cannot hold on to my faith.

Looking forward to look at the weapons and armor of God from tomorrow.

Amen

Previous (Ephesians 6:12)
Next (Ephesians 6:14 -Belt of Truth)

1 Like

I am trying to think about these words of Apostle Paul today. (2 Corinthians 12:9)

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

The journey of life for sure has different times. Times when I am joyful and my heart rests in the joy of the Lord and I am fully aware that God is in control. But there are times when I forget that God reigns over my life and sort of lose purpose and meaning. When Paul says “weakness”, I am thinking about these times where my inner being doesn’t truly rest in God and when I feel weak in spirit.

There are 4 times in verses 9 and 10 Paul repeats the word weak - Maybe he is really in a very weak situation. The thing that surprises me the most in this verse is “boasting about my weaknesses”. This is not something very common. One can boast when he has some strengths and he want to talk about how great he is because of this strength that he possess. “Boasting in weakness” is a paradoxical statement. For instance, if I feel so insecure, not confident, nervous - I would rather choose to hide them, instead of choosing to reveal them to others. But Paul goes a step higher - he wants to boast that he has many weak things in him. By doing so his goal is for God to take over him.

Holy Spirit works in a persons heart when he is truly humble and willing to accept who he/she is in front of God. Satan is a deceiver always lies and try his best to deceive people and make them believe that they are “something” when they are not. (2 Corinthians 11:12-15)

When I deny my true self, Satan takes control of me. When I admit and accept who I am in front of God, Holy spirit takes control of me.

Paul’s goal of boasting about his weakness is not just for others to know about it and feel sorry for him but his goal is for by doing so the power of God would cover his weakness and reveal the strength of God in him.

Amen

NEXT (2 Corinthians 12: 10)

21 But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness is given through faith in[h] Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile,

Law is the righteousness of God. Law is the way of life and it cannot be broken. Anyone who breaks the law is a sinner and bears the guilt.

Paul in Romans 3 verse 21 says that a new righteousness of God has been made known, a righteousness apart from the law. This can be challenging to understand, especially for the Jews. Law is righteousness. Law is ultimate and there is nothing above it. But Paul declares that there is a new righteousness apart from the law.

The one who breaks the law should be punished. How then can there be a new righteousness apart from the law? This must have been the question of the Jews. How can the law that was given by God can become invalid?

Paul is very careful as he presents the doctrine of Salvation. He says that the law and the prophets testify to this new righteousness. Though the righteousness has been revealed newly, it is not something coming out of the blue. Rather God has spoken about this new righteousness to the Jews and the people of Israel in the Old Testament through the law and the prophets.

How can one receive this righteousness? Paul doesnt say that one has to do something or keep some laws to earn this righteousness. Rather he says this righteousness is given. It is not earned but it is given freely to those who believe in Jesus Christ.

To a Jew this is very strange. Because to them righteousness can be earned only by keeping the law every day. But Paul is teaching something different. That righteousness is given freely by believing in Jesus Christ and this is given both to the Jews and to the gentiles.

When I meditate on these verses, I am able to see the peak of God’s love. Man is too weak to follow all the laws and rules. Though man knows what is right and what is wrong, he is overcome by sin and he is lead to commit sin. Sin silences the will to obey God’s law. Knowing the limitation of man, God sends his son to redeem mankind. The grace to overcome sin was provided on the cross.

When one believes in this cross of Jesus Christ who was sinless, this new righteousness apart from the law enters into their heart and life is never the same as before.

Amen

1 Like

Psalms 3

Psalm 3
A psalm of David. When he fled from his son Absalom.
1 Lord, how many are my foes!
How many rise up against me!
2 Many are saying of me,
“God will not deliver him.”

3 But you, Lord, are a shield around me,
my glory, the One who lifts my head high.
4 I call out to the Lord,
and he answers me from his holy mountain.

5 I lie down and sleep;
I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.
6 I will not fear though tens of thousands
assail me on every side.

7 Arise, Lord!
Deliver me, my God!
Strike all my enemies on the jaw;
break the teeth of the wicked.

8 From the Lord comes deliverance.
May your blessing be on your people.

Background

Unlike Psalm 1, Psalm 3 has a background story. King David is a Psalmist who has contributed to almost 50% of the book of Psalms. King David usually seen as a warrior has this poetic side in him. In his psalms King David praises God, gives thanks to God, seeks pardon from God, prays to God and sometimes show his bitterness of his soul out as well.

Psalm 3 in particular is an individual lament psalm. The story behind psalm 3 is recorded in 2 Samuel 13-19. In short, this is a story of David’s Son, Absalom, taking the throne of his father. David and his household are in the verge of losing their life and had to flee. David, who was covering his head which symbolizes disgrace as well as walking in barefoot, weeps as he walks to the Mount of Olives. He faced the dark night filled with horror and hopelessness and wakes again in the morning and sings this Psalm. Many commentaries address this psalm as “The morning hymn” or “The morning song”.

Matthew Henry in his commentary divides this Psalm in to 6 parts –

(i) Complains to God of his enemies – Vs. 1&2
(ii) Confides in God and tries to find encouragement in God – Vs. 3
(iii) Reflects on God’s answers to his prayers and God’s experience of goodness to him – Vs. 4 & 5
(iv) Triumphs over his fears – Vs. 6
(v) Triumphs over his enemies whom he prays against – Vs. 7
(vi) Gives God the glory and takes to himself the comfort of the divine blessing and salvation which are sure to all the people of God – Vs. 8

The Psalm

Verses 1, 2
In verses 1 and 2, King David, confesses his fear and insecurity in front of God. It can be seen that David is a man of humility. While great Kings want to boast in their victories and give themselves all their credit, David is a king who remained faithful and humble in front of God. Though he had a fierce image in front of people, he brought his weak side in front of God. This can be seen in vs. 1 and 2 as he says that his foes are overpowering his heart by saying that God, who David claims as his stronghold will not deliver him. So David is asking God if He would confirm that, He is on his side and will protect him.

Verse 3
In verse 3, he is trying to encourage and comfort himself by saying that God is his Shield, glory and one who lifts his head high. Though people say that God will not deliver him and lead him to insecurity, David wants to believe in his trying moments that God is his shield. When there is no visible sign of God’s protection, he wants to believe that God is acting as a shield in invisible ways. He wants to believe that God will restore his glory and lifts his head again and bring him out of this shameful position.

Verse 4, 5
He wants to put his trust in God based on his previous experiences with God. He reflects and reminds himself the prayers that he offered before and the replies that God gave him as he prayed. He reminds himself the goodness of God when he says that he lies down to sleep and he wakes again because the Lord sustains him. Though sleeping and waking seems like nothing to many, David is fully aware of the dangers that could happen as he sleeps unprotected. There might be a possibility that this is the last time he closes his eyes and never see another morning in his life. But God protected him through this night and allowed him to wake up in the morning. He wants to acknowledge God’s protection for him through the night.

Verse 6
In a battle field one of the biggest fears could be watching greatest heroes and warriors falling by one’s side. David who fought many battles, might have faced this fear of falling when others were falling. But here he wants to overcome this fear. He confesses that though tens of thousands may fall, God will be merciful to me and protect me from falling. He wants to believe in this strongly.

Verse 7
Realizing his limitations, David calls upon God in verse 7 to come down and help him to defeat him his enemies by breaking their teeth. He offers a prayer for deliverance from the horror of people surrounding him and trying to defeat him.

Verse 8
Verse 8 is a statement of affirmation from David that, God is the God of deliverance and he is the origin of blessings. This shows that David was completely relying on God – no more and no less.

Amen

Previous (Psalm 1)
Next (Psalm 4)

Psalm 5

Psalm 5
For the director of music. For pipes. A psalm of David.
1 Listen to my words, Lord,
consider my lament.
2 Hear my cry for help,
my King and my God,
for to you I pray.

3 In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;
in the morning I lay my requests before you
and wait expectantly.
4 For you are not a God who is pleased with wickedness;
with you, evil people are not welcome.
5 The arrogant cannot stand
in your presence.
You hate all who do wrong;
6 you destroy those who tell lies.
The bloodthirsty and deceitful
you, Lord, detest.
7 But I, by your great love,
can come into your house;
in reverence I bow down
toward your holy temple.

8 Lead me, Lord, in your righteousness
because of my enemies—
make your way straight before me.
9 Not a word from their mouth can be trusted;
their heart is filled with malice.
Their throat is an open grave;
with their tongues they tell lies.
10 Declare them guilty, O God!
Let their intrigues be their downfall.
Banish them for their many sins,
for they have rebelled against you.
11 But let all who take refuge in you be glad;
let them ever sing for joy.
Spread your protection over them,
that those who love your name may rejoice in you.

12 Surely, Lord, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield.

Background

This psalm was given to the choir master, especially to be played along with the piped instrument. This psalm does not have relation to particular event in David’s life but this psalm can fit in almost any time of David’s life for his whole life he was running for his life from his enemies and sometimes his own sons. This psalm particularly speaks a lot about liars who cheated David and he confesses that only God is his refuge. Matthew Henry arranges the psalm in the following way –
I. David’s certainty of God’s response – vs 1, 2, 3.
II. Glory to God and Comfort from God’s holiness – Vs. 4, 5, 6.
III. Resolution of public worship of God – Vs. 7
IV. God’s guidance for him and God’s judgement for his enemies – Vs. 8, 9 & 10.
V. God’s joy and safety to his people – Vs. 11 & 12

The Psalm

Vs 1
David is trying to seek comfort in God by making sure that Lord is listening to his lament. Not just listening but he is praying to God to give careful thought to his lament.

Vs 2
He wants to shout out to the Lord in all of his anguish begging God, crying for help. He knows that God is King and he is above all things. He reminds himself to what kind of God he is praying.

Vs 3
The sweetest prayer of all prayers is the morning prayers. When everyone is asleep and in the quietness of the day and soul, David is sure that Lord is listening to his voice. His prayers are not just words but expectations which is the source of his strength of the day.

Vs 4, 5 & 6
From verses 4-6 David describes the heart and the nature of the unrighteous people and the response of God to these people. God is a holy, right and just God. When wickedness comes in his presence, he hates it with all of his being. He can do nothing but draw himself away from them. The evil people are not welcome with the Lord. This means that the person cannot find peace and rest in God. God does not welcome people with dark intents in their hearts. If a person is not welcomed by God, his life is miserable.

Verse 5 is holding a premise that all humans are sinners and need to have a humble and broken heart when they go infront of God. The people who are arrogant and have a self-righteous attitude cannot stand infront of God. It is easy to think that God is loving God and he accepts and loves sinners. But before God extends his arms of love, he is a God of justice. This defines his being. Therefore he hates sin and sinners and those who do wrong with passion.

God cannot accept liars. He is truth. Humans find freedom and rest when they dwell in truth. Liars change their words from time to time and let others not to rest and dwell in peace. God hates those people and he will destroy them. People who are thirsty for others blood meaning people who are filled with hatred and have deceit in them Lord detests them. He doesnot want these people in from of him.

Vs 7
David wants to talk about God’s mercy to him. God accepts him and allows him to come into his house not because David is righteous but because of God’s great love for him. Because of this great love David wants to bow down towards God’s holy temple.

Vs 8 & 9
Verses 8 and 9 is connected. David pleads with God to show the right path that he should take especially because of his enemies. His enemies are liars that lead him in many different paths that are not right. He says that their tongues are open graves. Following their ways will lead him towards death. Therefore he begs God to show the right way that he should walk.

Vs 10
He wants God to declare them guilty and send them out of his presence because of their sins and their rebellion against God.

Vs 11
But those who takes refuge in God be glad and joyful and ever sing for joy. They have true protection that those who love Gods name may rejoice in him.

Vs 12
The righteous meaning those who seek God in repentance, God will surround them with his favour as protect them with a shield.

Amen

Previous (Psalm 4)
Next(Psalm 6)

1 Like

Psalm 6

Psalm 6
For the director of music. With stringed instruments. According to sheminith. A psalm of David.
1 Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger
or discipline me in your wrath.
2 Have mercy on me, Lord, for I am faint;
heal me, Lord, for my bones are in agony.
3 My soul is in deep anguish.
How long, Lord, how long?

4 Turn, Lord, and deliver me;
save me because of your unfailing love.
5 Among the dead no one proclaims your name.
Who praises you from the grave?

6 I am worn out from my groaning.

All night long I flood my bed with weeping
and drench my couch with tears.
7 My eyes grow weak with sorrow;
they fail because of all my foes.

8 Away from me, all you who do evil,
for the Lord has heard my weeping.
9 The Lord has heard my cry for mercy;
the Lord accepts my prayer.
10 All my enemies will be overwhelmed with shame and anguish;
they will turn back and suddenly be put to shame.

Background

Psalms 6 is clearly a lament psalm. This psalm doesn’t allude to any specific event. But one can know from this Psalm that King David is in a time of deep pain in his heart. Matthew Henry in his commentary suggests that he is even in times of not just pain from the soul but also pain from the body.

He divides the psalm in to 2 parts –
(i) He pours out his complaints before God, deprecates his wrath, and begs earnestly for the return of his favor (v. 1-7).
(ii) He assures himself of an answer of peace, shortly, to his full satisfaction (v. 8-10).

The Psalm

Vs 1, 2 & 3
In verses 1, 2 and 3 King David expresses the pain and agony inside of his heart. One thing I love about David is that he does not keep his feelings to himself; rather he chooses to open it up and share it in front of God and receives peace in letting his depths to God. This way he doesn’t become dead in his heart concealing pain and punishing his soul rather he becomes more peaceful and lively.
There is deep pain in the heart of David, therefore he wants to know that God is on his side and He loves David. Therefore he pleads with God not to rebuke him in his anger and discipline him in wrath which will cause David to close his heart and develop deeper and stronger misunderstanding with God.
Rather in verse 2, David begs for God’s mercy to heal him as his bones (depths of his heart) is in agony.
He wants to meet God with his heart. His soul longs for communion with God and his pain can be ended. There is some offense which is not mentioned that David has committed against God. Therefore he is not able to be in peace with God. The connection between him and God is cut-off. His soul is longing to restore this relationship that has been cut-off. So in pain he is crying out to God, how long he should bear this pain?

Vs 4&5
In verse 4 David continues to ask for God’s mercy. He pleads God to turn back from his wrath. This verse shows that David has good knowledge of God’s mercy and love that never fails. He wants to keep seeking this love until God relents. He pleads God to save him because of his unfailing love. Not because David is a righteous man and he has right to ask God to save him. But he does not deserve of God’s mercy but because God is the God of unfailing love he seeks God to come to him and forgive. Unfailing is a very deep word. In a world where love easily dies and people easily fail since they are not the source of love itself but are reflectors of love, David is seeking God’s love that fails unendingly.
He says to God that he will praise God if God saves him. This verse can be seen in 2 ways. David wants to plead to God to keep him alive so that he may praise him. Also this could mean that Lord please come to save me before I die, If I die I might not be able to praise you because the dead can feel nothing.

V6
In verse 6 he expresses the feeling of his soul. As Paul says in Romans 8 the spirit groans when it is not able to meet God. David says as his spirit kept groaning he lost his strength and he is worn out. And out of his anguish for not being able to meet God he cries and wets the pillow and couch day and night.

Vs 7
The sorrow in his heart of not being able to meet God weakens his spirit every day and his eyes become dim and weary. Without joy in his heart he seems very weak in front of his enemies.

Vs 8, 9 & 10
In these 3 verses David receives assurance from God. In most sorrow of a man is that he is not able to know if God is listening to his prayers. If there is no communication between man and God there is no confidence in man. David is trying to seek this confidence from God.
To those who are trying to kill David he wants to tell them that God has heard his prayer and he has received assurance from God. The cry for mercy has been heard and David was accepted. Since now he has strong assurance that God is on his side, David professes to his enemies that they will be over whelmed with shame and they will turn back.

Amen

Previous (Psalm 5)
Next (Psalm 6)

2 Likes

Psalm 8

Psalm 8
For the director of music. According to gittith. A psalm of David.
1 Lord, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!

You have set your glory
in the heavens.
2 Through the praise of children and infants
you have established a stronghold against your enemies,
to silence the foe and the avenger.
3 When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,
4 what is mankind that you are mindful of them,
human beings that you care for them?

5 You have made them a little lower than the angels
and crowned them with glory and honor.
6 You made them rulers over the works of your hands;
you put everything under their feet:
7 all flocks and herds,
and the animals of the wild,
8 the birds in the sky,
and the fish in the sea,
all that swim the paths of the seas.

9 Lord, our Lord,

Background

Psalm 8 doesn’t ascribe to any particular event. It is a song that wants to express the greatness and glory of God’s power and transcendence. This psalm tries to paint a picture of how mankind is small in front of an unfathomable God. Matthew Henry breaks down the psalm into a following structure.
I. Making God know his great name to us – Vs. 1
II. For making use of the weak people to serve God’s purposes – Vs 2
III. For making heavenly bodies useful to man – Vs. 3, 4
IV. Dominion over creatures but little lower than angels – Vs. 5-8

The Psalm

Vs 1
The psalmist starts the psalm by exalting the name of the Lord and describing how glorious he is. As humans it is difficult for one to figure out who God is. This nature of God makes him God. He is transcendent above everything and unknowable. His glory is in the heavens. Such a glorious God’s name is majestic all over the earth.

Vs 2
The world of God is very different. In the eyes of man the most powerful people are the ones with great wealth, knowledge and power. But God uses the weak, poor, dumb people to defend his glory against the enemies of God. God has the power to quiet the sound of the foe and the avenger by using the voice of children and infants who are weak and vulnerable in the world.

Vs 3, 4
The psalmist in verse 3 tries to think about the creation of God. He is meditating on the wonder that God has made. He looks in to the sky and the spatial bodies and he is in awe. He is so shocked and surprised by the order of creation. The heavens and the work of his fingers are so great.
In verse 4 he reflects on the love of God towards mankind. Though God is so big and his creation is unfathomable, he cares for human beings and he is mindful of man. This indeed is a wonderful expression of humility. You are such a great God whom I cannot understand and fathom. But it is so great that you have time for human beings that are so small and live finite lives.

Vs 5, 6, 7, 8
Though the finitude of man is so great, the generosity of God is so big that he crowned man with glory and honor. He is just a little smaller than the angels.
Though God has made everything with all sweat and pain, he generously gave everything to humans to rule and He put everything under the feet of man to rule, this is love and great grace.
Verses 7 and 8 lists the objects that are under the rule of man. It includes flocks and herds and animals in the wild, birds, fishes and all sea creatures. Though all these are created by God, he let man rule over all this.

Vs 9.
The psalmist ends the psalm by praising God as he begins the psalm with praise.

Previous (Psalm 6)
Next(Psalm 11)

21 But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness is given through faith in[h] Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile,

Law is the righteousness of God. Law is the way of life and it cannot be broken. Anyone who breaks the law is a sinner and bears the guilt.

Paul in Romans 3 verse 21 says that a new righteousness of God has been made known, a righteousness apart from the law. This can be challenging to understand, especially for the Jews. Law is righteousness. Law is ultimate and there is nothing above it. But Paul declares that there is a new righteousness apart from the law.

The one who breaks the law should be punished. How then can there be a new righteousness apart from the law? This must have been the question of the Jews. How can the law that was given by God can become invalid?

Paul is very careful as he presents the doctrine of Salvation. He says that the law and the prophets testify to this new righteousness. Though the righteousness has been revealed newly, it is not something coming out of the blue. Rather God has spoken about this new righteousness to the Jews and the people of Israel in the Old Testament through the law and the prophets.

How can one receive this righteousness? Paul doesnt say that one has to do something or keep some laws to earn this righteousness. Rather he says this righteousness is given. It is not earned but it is given freely to those who believe in Jesus Christ.

To a Jew this is very strange. Because to them righteousness can be earned only by keeping the law every day. But Paul is teaching something different. That righteousness is given freely by believing in Jesus Christ and this is given both to the Jews and to the gentiles.

When I meditate on these verses, I am able to see the peak of God’s love. Man is too weak to follow all the laws and rules. Though man knows what is right and what is wrong, he is overcome by sin and he is lead to commit sin. Sin silences the will to obey God’s law. Knowing the limitation of man, God sends his son to redeem mankind. The grace to overcome sin was provided on the cross.

When one believes in this cross of Jesus Christ who was sinless, this new righteousness apart from the law enters into their heart and life is never the same as before.

Amen

1 Like

Psalm 11

Psalm 11
For the director of music. Of David.
1 In the Lord I take refuge.
How then can you say to me:
“Flee like a bird to your mountain.
2 For look, the wicked bend their bows;
they set their arrows against the strings
to shoot from the shadows
at the upright in heart.
3 When the foundations are being destroyed,
what can the righteous do?”

4 The Lord is in his holy temple;
the Lord is on his heavenly throne.
He observes everyone on earth;
his eyes examine them.
5 The Lord examines the righteous,
but the wicked, those who love violence,
he hates with a passion.
6 On the wicked he will rain
fiery coals and burning sulfur;
a scorching wind will be their lot.

7 For the Lord is righteous,
he loves justice;
the upright will see his face.

Background

Psalm 11 is a psalm of David. It is given to the director of Music. Many commentaries state that the director of Music could be either God or could be the leader of the choir. This psalm doesn’t allude to any specific event but from the psalm one can know that it is written as David faces Saul who tries to kill him many times.

Matthew Henry in his commentary on this Psalm has outlined the psalm in the following way –
(i) David’s Temptation to flee in fear – Vs. 1-3
(ii) David’s Response to his temptation – Vs. 4
(iii) God’s favor for the righteous and wrath for the wicked – Vs. 5-7

The Psalm

Vs 1, 2, 3

In verses 1-3, David expresses his temptation to flee in fear from his enemies. Verse 1 could be either a voice within him telling him to flee or could be his friends who love him encourage him to flee from the danger. One of the biggest challenges in Christian life is trusting and standing in the place where God has placed a person amidst challenging situations. Verse 1 is the perfect description of a Christian facing a challenge where a voice says, will I be able to trust in God and stand in this position or should I step back into my comfort zone.

Verse 2 paints the picture of the dangerous situation the blameless is facing. He is seeing the string of the bow being bent and the arrow ready to fly from enemies to pierce in to the body and taking his life. In such a situation as this what will be the response of the person of God?

Verse 3 shows that David is almost wanting to flee and sinking in the waters of disbelief. He says when the foundations are being destroyed what can the person of God do? A person who trusts in God would have said when the foundations are being destroyed the person of God will stand for it fighting the wicked. But rather David’s words spreads disbelief.

Vs 4
This can be the situation many of the people of God will experience. In the verge of giving up God sends his spirit and strengthens by his assurance. Verse 3’s tone and verse 4’s tone are completely different. In verse 4 David starts to show faith in God. Rather than looking at himself he is slowly starting to look at God. He thinks of the holy temple and the righteous throne of God. He meditates on the God of judgment who observes and examines the hearts of people on earth.

Vs 5, 6, 7
In verse 5 David speaks of God’s favor over the righteous and God’s passionate hatred to the people who love violences. He is trying to comfort himself and assure himself of God’s faithfulness towards those who are upright in heart. God is someone who never forsakes the righteous. Though most times it looks as if the wicked are winning, but God will definitely remember those who are righteous are will protect them.

In verse 6 he speaks of God’s judgment on the wicked. God is someone who will destroy the wicked mercilessly.

In verse 7 he portrays God as the God of the just and only people who are pure can meet him face to face.

When David says righteous and pure, he doesn’t mean people are sinless. Rather he means that those are the people that try to be faithful to God in repenting and trusting him will all his heart.

Amen

Previous (Psalm 8)
Next (Psalm 11)

1 Like

Psalm 23

Introduction

Psalm 23 is a psalm of David. Unlike many other Psalms where David complaints, in psalm 23 David speaks of the goodness, protection, comfort and reign of God over his life. The psalm has beautiful imagery painting beautiful images of nature through the words. Matthew Henry gives the following frame for the psalm.

(i) Addresses God as shepherd of mankind. – Verse 1
(ii) He recalls his experiences with God as a shepherd – Verse 2,3,4,5
(iii) Assurance of God’s providence in his life – Verse 6

The Psalm

Verses 1-3
Sheep are animals that cannot survive by themselves. The basic need of a sheep is food and safety. They cannot sustain by themselves. They need a shepherd to take care of them. Similarly man is a being that cannot live without God. David is a shepherd. He deeply realizes the fact that man cannot live without God just as how the sheep cannot live without shepherd. God is someone who takes me to the green pastures and helps to take me to still waters so that the sheep can peacefully drink. Thirdly not because humans are good, but because God is good he leads people in the paths of righteousness.

Verse 4
Just as the sheep faces dark valley which is like death, humans many times enter into dark phases of life longing to be freed from the darkness. Humans maybe lost like lonely sheep. David gives a confession of faith that God is someone that saves humans from this shadow of death and he is not afraid to face the darkness and evil of valley of shadow of death.

Verse 5
In verse 5, David pictures himself as being invited to the table of God especially in the presence of his enemies. This means a lot to him. Probably he might have an intimidation in front of his enemies. But as God invites him to his table he feels secure being assured that God is on his side. God did not only invite him but also anointed him with oil. Probably David is reflecting on the event of him being positioned as king over Israel.

Verse 6
In verse 6, David concludes the psalm by reflecting on the promise of God that never ends. He is pretty confident that God is someone that will never leave him or forsake him which gives a sense of confidence to David.

Previous (Psalm 12)

1 Like

Psalm 12

Psalm 12
For the director of music. According to sheminith. A psalm of David.
1 Help, Lord, for no one is faithful anymore;
those who are loyal have vanished from the human race.
2 Everyone lies to their neighbor;
they flatter with their lips
but harbor deception in their hearts.

3 May the Lord silence all flattering lips
and every boastful tongue—
4 those who say,
“By our tongues we will prevail;
our own lips will defend us—who is lord over us?”

5 “Because the poor are plundered and the needy groan,
I will now arise,” says the Lord.
“I will protect them from those who malign them.”
6 And the words of the Lord are flawless,
like silver purified in a crucible,
like gold refined seven times.

7 You, Lord, will keep the needy safe
and will protect us forever from the wicked,
8 who freely strut about
when what is vile is honored by the human race.

Background

This Psalm is the Psalm of David. It doesn’t not allude to any particular event. Some commentaries state that this might be written when David was threatened by the allies of Saul. Some commentaries state that David wrote this psalm to describe the corruption during King Saul’s reign and also about this suffering trusting in some of those officials whose heart was to back stab him.

Matthew Henry gives title to the Psalm in the following way:
I. He begs help of God, because there were none among men whom he durst trust (v. 1, v. 2).
II. He foretells the destruction of his proud and threatening enemies (v. 3, v. 4).
III. He assures himself and others that, how ill so ever things went now (v. 8), God would preserve and secure to himself his own people (v. 5, v. 7), and would certainly make good his promises to them (v. 6).

The Psalm

Verse 1
David starts this psalm with a complaint to God. One of the most important virtues that people expect from each other is truthfulness and honesty. In verse 1 David looks for the virtue of faithfulness and loyalty among the people. But he couldn’t find any. Especially he faces many battles in life. He is looking for people that he can rely on. But he is unable to rest his heart on anyone. He says the loyal people are all vanished from the human race.

Verse 2
Verse 2 is continuation of verse 1. He describes how wicked and deceitful humans are. Humans are very good at hiding themselves. Especially when Adam sinned he hid himself from God. David talks about people who hide themselves and show a different face outside. They show a very nice face outside so that people can trust them and be in fellowship with them. But inside they do not have any affection for others but are very different.
They flatter. Flattering is false praise. Many humans are like this. When they need favor from others or win people’s favor, they flatter. The praise the other person which wasn’t true praise, but praise with an intent.
They are people that grow the spirit of deception in their heart. The very goal of their lives is to deceive others just like Satan, who kills.

Verse 3
David prays to God pleading Him to silence all those who flatter and speak falsity. He feels very insecure with these people whom He is not able to trust.

Verse 4
Verse 4 is continuation of verse 3. He tries to define the inner attitude of these people that lie. They are those people that say by our own tongues we prevail and no one is above us. He means to say these are arrogant and Godless people who want to put themselves above everyone and speak without the fear of God.

Verse 5
David records the reply of God for his prayer. God is the God of mercy. He keeps watching the poor and the needy being afflicted giving unrighteous time to repent. When they donot repent but continuously press on the poor and needy, he cannot but help the needy and protect them from those who are pressing them.
In the context of this psalm, the afflicted are the victims of unfaithfulness, lies and flatter. The reply from the Lord is really comforting.

Verse 6
David believes that the words of the Lord are unchanging. Through humans forget and keep changing, God does not change. He remains the same saving people from the wicked. His words are so pure like silver that is purified in a crucible and gold that is refined more than 7 times.

Verse 7 & 8
David says that God will keep the needy safe and will protect the needy from the wicked. He gives an explanation of the wicked. These are the people that walk confidently when things that are unpleasant are honored by the human race.

Amen

Previous (Psalm 12)
Next (Psalm 23)

Psalms 1

Psalm 1
1 Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
2 but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
3 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
whatever they do prospers.

4 Not so the wicked!
They are like chaff
that the wind blows away.
5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

6 For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked leads to destruction.

Background

Psalms 1 acts as a preface to the whole book of Psalms. This psalm offers 2 different ways of life and their results. But doing so the psalmist wants to reader to be aware of the dangers of a ruthless life and the profits of a righteous life and choose wisely the way and direction of life. The psalms interestingly starts with the word “blessed” which Jesus also uses in the sermon on the mount in Matthew 5 as Jesus begins His earthly ministry.

Matthew Henry in his commentary outlines this Psalms into 3 parts –
I. The holiness and happiness of a godly man (vs. 1-3)
II. The sinfulness and misery of a wicked man (vs. 4-5)
III. The ground and reason of both (vs. 6)

Matthew also adds that,” it is absolutely necessary to the acceptance of our devotions that we be righteous before God (for it is only the prayer of the upright that is his delight), and therefore that we be right in our notions of blessedness and in our choice of the way that leads to it. Those are not fit to put up good prayers who do not walk in good ways.”

The Psalm

V1
Verse 1 talks about 3 different spiritual postures – Walk, Stand and Sit. As referred before the verse starts with “Blessed”. In this verse the psalmist wants to offer the reader the way to blessing. There are usually two different types of commands. One is “do” and other is “do not”. In this verse, it is a do not. A blessed person is someone who does not do the following things. When a person’s life enters sin it follows this order-walk, stand and sit. There are ways that a person should not walk, when he breaks it and walks in that particular way, after a while he tends to find something attractive and stands to watch it and later he is captivated by false beauty and sits there.

V2
For a person to be not pulled in to this “unblessed” way of life, the psalmist offers a new way of life. He not only points out the way which a person should not walk, but he also points out to the way the he should walk. Man either walks in the way that leads to life or he walks in the way that leads to death. There is nothing called as neutral in spiritual life. Man’s heart is always pulled towards joy, happiness and love. His heart longs to be filled with eternal love. It is very crucial what he fills this longing with. In verse 2 the psalmist says his delight should be in the law of the Lord. When a person’s heart is captivated by the law of the Lord, he meditates on it day and night. His desire is to meditate on God’s law day and night.

V3
Such person will be like the trees planted by the streams. But this psalmist wants to draw a picture of spiritual prosperity and freshness. The person who dwells in Lord’s word will be someone who is fresh and prosperous in spirit. Secondly he will be someone who bears fruit in season. Think about the time when Jesus cursed the fig tree for no fruits in the tree. He will not be like that but his life will be filled with fruits that himself and others can taste. Thirdly he will not wither. The trees without water wither. But the trees that are planted by the streams will never wither. Similarly the one who dwells in the word of God, which is the living water, he will never thirst.

V4
In verse 4 the psalmist brings out the one who walks stands and sits with the wicket. They are like the chaff, meaning they are not firm in their lives. Their lives are shaking and faltering. When a wind blows – when temptations come – they easily fly away along with the wind.

V5
Therefore the wicked and the sinners whose life is not built on the word of God cannot stand on the Day of Judgment which can both be perceived as the day of temptation or the final judgment and the wicked cannot stand together with the righteous. When light comes, darkness has to leave.

V6
The final word is – the Lord will watch over the way of the righteous but the way of the sinners will lie in ruins and misery will follow them all the days of their lives.

Amen

Previous (Ephesians 6:14- Belt of Truth)
Next (Psalm 3)

Psalm 4

Psalm 4
For the director of music. With stringed instruments. A psalm of David.
1 Answer me when I call to you,
my righteous God.
Give me relief from my distress;
have mercy on me and hear my prayer.

2 How long will you people turn my glory into shame?
How long will you love delusions and seek false gods
3 Know that the Lord has set apart his faithful servant for himself;
the Lord hears when I call to him.

4 Tremble and[d] do not sin;
when you are on your beds,
search your hearts and be silent.
5 Offer the sacrifices of the righteous
and trust in the Lord.

6 Many, Lord, are asking, “Who will bring us prosperity?”
Let the light of your face shine on us.
7 Fill my heart with joy
when their grain and new wine abound.

8 In peace I will lie down and sleep,
for you alone, Lord,
make me dwell in safety.

Background

Psalm 4 is not written with reference to any particular event. The author of this Psalm is King David. It is unknown what instigated King David to write this psalm. Matthew Henry in his commentary on Psalms 4 states that not all of the written psalms are occasional. “Many of the psalms were written for the instruction of the people of God, who attended in the courts of his house, the assisting of their devotions and directing the conversations”, he adds and he takes psalm 4 as one such psalm. One information we know about this psalm is that it is been handed over to the chief musician. Some of the commentaries say that this musician is God while the most commentaries say that it is the leader of Choir in David’s palace.

He outlines the psalm as follows –

1. David begins with a short prayer – Vs. 1
  2. Children of men dishonoring God and Calls them to consider the ways of the godly
    – Vs. 2, 3 & 4
  3. Exhortation to serve and trust God – Vs. 5
  4. His experiences of God’s works in his life – Vs. 6,7 & 8

The Psalm

Verse 1
David starts the psalm by praying to God. David requests God to have mercy on him by listening to his prayer. David seems very desperate as he composes this psalm. The passion of David is seen in this prayer. He desperately longs to hear the voice of God which can give relief to his distress. He addresses God as a righteous God. Though He knows God is righteous, he wants to confess it and bring it out.

Verses 2, 3 & 4
It Seems like David is addressing to people who do not fear God and are threatening his life. The second line of verse 2 is more like a sermon. He is preaching against unbelievers not to love delusions and seek God that are not true. He wants to affirm his position given to him by God. He talks about God setting him apart from everyone else to belong to God. He wants to communicate to them that he is not like any other man but are different from others by the choice and separation of God for himself. He declares that the Lord listens to his prayer when He calls on to him. In a way he is trying to communicate to his pagan enemies not to think of the God of David as the same God that they are seeking which do not listen or speak. He wants to tell them in affirmation that his God listens to his call and will answer him. In verse 4 he gives exhortation to them. He warns them not to commit sin and have a trembling heart in front of God. He wants them to meditate and check themselves if they have any sins moving in their hearts and minds. Bed time is usually the time that is fit for self-reflection to think about their actions of the day. He wants them to give thought to their ways.

Verse 5
This verse is very doctrinal. He exhorts them to offer the sacrifice of the righteous and trust in the Lord. He means to say that not everyone that offers sacrifices is righteous. But the Lord accepts the offerings of the righteous only. Therefore he wants to make sure that they have a clean heart before they offer sacrifice to God and he asks them to trust in the Lord.

Verse 6, 7 & 8
After his exhortation in verse 6 he turns back again to God to pray. The first line of verse 6 may very well be his own people that are questioning him about prosperity or their needs. There might have been a time when the crops failed them. He prays to God to show his mercy by asking God to show his light upon him and his people. He prays to God that when the people’s grain and wine abounds his heart will be joyful- this is such a great expression of leadership.
Finally he closes the psalm by praying to God to take good care of him as he sleeps.

Previous (Psalm 3)
Next (Psalm 5)

Psalm 6

Psalm 6
For the director of music. With stringed instruments. According to sheminith. A psalm of David.
1 Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger
or discipline me in your wrath.
2 Have mercy on me, Lord, for I am faint;
heal me, Lord, for my bones are in agony.
3 My soul is in deep anguish.
How long, Lord, how long?

4 Turn, Lord, and deliver me;
save me because of your unfailing love.
5 Among the dead no one proclaims your name.
Who praises you from the grave?

6 I am worn out from my groaning.

All night long I flood my bed with weeping
and drench my couch with tears.
7 My eyes grow weak with sorrow;
they fail because of all my foes.

8 Away from me, all you who do evil,
for the Lord has heard my weeping.
9 The Lord has heard my cry for mercy;
the Lord accepts my prayer.
10 All my enemies will be overwhelmed with shame and anguish;
they will turn back and suddenly be put to shame.

Background

Psalms 6 is clearly a lament psalm. This psalm doesn’t allude to any specific event. But one can know from this Psalm that King David is in a time of deep pain in his heart. Matthew Henry in his commentary suggests that he is even in times of not just pain from the soul but also pain from the body.

He divides the psalm in to 2 parts –
(i) He pours out his complaints before God, deprecates his wrath, and begs earnestly for the return of his favor (v. 1-7).
(ii) He assures himself of an answer of peace, shortly, to his full satisfaction (v. 8-10).

The Psalm

Vs 1, 2 & 3
In verses 1, 2 and 3 King David expresses the pain and agony inside of his heart. One thing I love about David is that he does not keep his feelings to himself; rather he chooses to open it up and share it in front of God and receives peace in letting his depths to God. This way he doesn’t become dead in his heart concealing pain and punishing his soul rather he becomes more peaceful and lively.
There is deep pain in the heart of David, therefore he wants to know that God is on his side and He loves David. Therefore he pleads with God not to rebuke him in his anger and discipline him in wrath which will cause David to close his heart and develop deeper and stronger misunderstanding with God.
Rather in verse 2, David begs for God’s mercy to heal him as his bones (depths of his heart) is in agony.
He wants to meet God with his heart. His soul longs for communion with God and his pain can be ended. There is some offense which is not mentioned that David has committed against God. Therefore he is not able to be in peace with God. The connection between him and God is cut-off. His soul is longing to restore this relationship that has been cut-off. So in pain he is crying out to God, how long he should bear this pain?

Vs 4&5
In verse 4 David continues to ask for God’s mercy. He pleads God to turn back from his wrath. This verse shows that David has good knowledge of God’s mercy and love that never fails. He wants to keep seeking this love until God relents. He pleads God to save him because of his unfailing love. Not because David is a righteous man and he has right to ask God to save him. But he does not deserve of God’s mercy but because God is the God of unfailing love he seeks God to come to him and forgive. Unfailing is a very deep word. In a world where love easily dies and people easily fail since they are not the source of love itself but are reflectors of love, David is seeking God’s love that fails unendingly.
He says to God that he will praise God if God saves him. This verse can be seen in 2 ways. David wants to plead to God to keep him alive so that he may praise him. Also this could mean that Lord please come to save me before I die, If I die I might not be able to praise you because the dead can feel nothing.

V6
In verse 6 he expresses the feeling of his soul. As Paul says in Romans 8 the spirit groans when it is not able to meet God. David says as his spirit kept groaning he lost his strength and he is worn out. And out of his anguish for not being able to meet God he cries and wets the pillow and couch day and night.

Vs 7
The sorrow in his heart of not being able to meet God weakens his spirit every day and his eyes become dim and weary. Without joy in his heart he seems very weak in front of his enemies.

Vs 8, 9 & 10
In these 3 verses David receives assurance from God. In most sorrow of a man is that he is not able to know if God is listening to his prayers. If there is no communication between man and God there is no confidence in man. David is trying to seek this confidence from God.
To those who are trying to kill David he wants to tell them that God has heard his prayer and he has received assurance from God. The cry for mercy has been heard and David was accepted. Since now he has strong assurance that God is on his side, David professes to his enemies that they will be over whelmed with shame and they will turn back.

Amen

Previous (Psalm 5)
Next (Psalm 6)

2 Likes

Psalm 8

Psalm 8
For the director of music. According to gittith. A psalm of David.
1 Lord, our Lord,

You have set your glory
in the heavens.
2 Through the praise of children and infants
you have established a stronghold against your enemies,
to silence the foe and the avenger.
3 When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,
4 what is mankind that you are mindful of them,
human beings that you care for them?

5 You have made them a little lower than the angels
and crowned them with glory and honor.
6 You made them rulers over the works of your hands;
you put everything under their feet:
7 all flocks and herds,
and the animals of the wild,
8 the birds in the sky,
and the fish in the sea,
all that swim the paths of the seas.

9 Lord, our Lord,

Background

Psalm 8 doesn’t ascribe to any particular event. It is a song that wants to express the greatness and glory of God’s power and transcendence. This psalm tries to paint a picture of how mankind is small in front of an unfathomable God. Matthew Henry breaks down the psalm into a following structure.
I. Making God know his great name to us – Vs. 1
II. For making use of the weak people to serve God’s purposes – Vs 2
III. For making heavenly bodies useful to man – Vs. 3, 4
IV. Dominion over creatures but little lower than angels – Vs. 5-8

The Psalm

Vs 1
The psalmist starts the psalm by exalting the name of the Lord and describing how glorious he is. As humans it is difficult for one to figure out who God is. This nature of God makes him God. He is transcendent above everything and unknowable. His glory is in the heavens. Such a glorious God’s name is majestic all over the earth.

Vs 2
The world of God is very different. In the eyes of man the most powerful people are the ones with great wealth, knowledge and power. But God uses the weak, poor, dumb people to defend his glory against the enemies of God. God has the power to quiet the sound of the foe and the avenger by using the voice of children and infants who are weak and vulnerable in the world.

Vs 3, 4
The psalmist in verse 3 tries to think about the creation of God. He is meditating on the wonder that God has made. He looks in to the sky and the spatial bodies and he is in awe. He is so shocked and surprised by the order of creation. The heavens and the work of his fingers are so great.
In verse 4 he reflects on the love of God towards mankind. Though God is so big and his creation is unfathomable, he cares for human beings and he is mindful of man. This indeed is a wonderful expression of humility. You are such a great God whom I cannot understand and fathom. But it is so great that you have time for human beings that are so small and live finite lives.

Vs 5, 6, 7, 8
Though the finitude of man is so great, the generosity of God is so big that he crowned man with glory and honor. He is just a little smaller than the angels.
Though God has made everything with all sweat and pain, he generously gave everything to humans to rule and He put everything under the feet of man to rule, this is love and great grace.
Verses 7 and 8 lists the objects that are under the rule of man. It includes flocks and herds and animals in the wild, birds, fishes and all sea creatures. Though all these are created by God, he let man rule over all this.

Vs 9.
The psalmist ends the psalm by praising God as he begins the psalm with praise.

Previous (Psalm 6)
Next(Psalm 11)

Amen
If you’re been tormented by demonic spirits/demons
I recommend Daily Mercy it’s an online deliverance program that you can do from anywhere that you have internet.
www.ricardowatson.com , look for Daily Mercy and schedule a call :pray:t2: