About Fashion ~Is wearing jeans a sin?

Is wearing jeans a sin?

of course not. could you explain why you have this kind of worry and thoughts? :open_mouth:

Based on my experience, Christians often judge another Christian based on what he/she wears. There was one instance when I was seen as an “immature” Christian simply because I wore jeans. Most believers have this mentality that if you’re a true Christian, one should only wear skirts or anything that fits to their definition of a modest apparel (dress, long skirts, etc).
Christians who believe wearing jeans is a sin always quote Deut.22:5 “A woman must not wear men’s clothing, nor a man wear women’s clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this.”
I would like to ask fellow believers about their opinion to this matter.

I see, thanks for you explication. There are different opinion on this topic. I agree that some laws of Old Testament was given to the Israel, not to us. But even so, we can learn spiritual lesson from the lessons, which is that we should not mix good and evil together.

2 Corinthians 6:14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?

At that time, Israel was called from the nations with God’s grace. Now, we are called from the world to become God’s children. We have knew God and listened to His words. We should have pure heart and faith before God, not be mixed with the secular things. This is my understanding.

1 Like

This can be a tricky question. In the New Testament, the guideline that we have is a Christian should adorn himself or herself in “modest apparel.”

2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 2:10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. - 1 Timothy 2:8-10

In my personal opinion, wearing jeans doesn’t violate this verse. Wearing jeans also doesn’t cause another person to commit sin such as lust of the eyes. Of course when it comes to going to worship, it is a different matter all together since we have to give our best to the Master.

1 Like

That’s what I believe in too. Thanks!

To be clear, pants were not a part of biblical cultures (In fact, modern jeans as we know them became popular in the 1800s.). Instead, we look at Scripture for what principles may apply. First, Paul clearly notes, “Women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works” (1 Timothy 2:9-10). The focus in this passage is modesty.