Are jokes bad for Christians?

When does a joke become sinful? How do we manage this.

What does the Bible say about coarse jesting and crude joking?

Ephesians 5:4 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
“and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.”

In context:

or click here → Ephesians 5

See also: Ephesians 5:3-4; Romans 12:1-2; 2Cor 10:5; 1Thess 4:3; 1Cor 6:19-20; Romans 6:12-13; James 3:9-12; James 1:26; 1Cor 10:31; Proverbs 18:21; Proverbs 26:19; Philippians 4:8

Citations above here written out from the NASB (New American Standard Bible):

But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints; (Ephesians 5:3 NASB)

and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. (Ephesians 5:4 NASB)

Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. (Romans 12:1 NASB)

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:2 NASB)

We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ, (2 Corinthians 10:5 NASB)

For this is the will of God, your sanctification; that is, that you abstain from sexual immorality; (1 Thessalonians 4:3 NASB)

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? (1 Corinthians 6:19 NASB)

For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body. (1 Corinthians 6:20 NASB)

Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, (Romans 6:12 NASB)

and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. (Romans 6:13 NASB)

With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God; (James 3:9 NASB)

from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way. (James 3:10 NASB)

Does a fountain send out from the same opening both fresh and bitter water? (James 3:11 NASB)

Can a fig tree, my brethren, produce olives, or a vine produce figs? Nor can salt water produce fresh. (James 3:12 NASB)

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless. (James 1:26 NASB)

Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 10:31 NASB)

Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit. (Proverbs 18:21 NASB)

So is the man who deceives his neighbor, And says, “Was I not joking?” (Proverbs 26:19 NASB)

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. (Philippians 4:8 NASB)

but in general is it bad to give jokes? @Sunami_Carpenter

As long as your jokes do not fall into any of those categories, aren’t degrading to humans made in God’s image (which includes all humans, yes, even our enemies), and are not degrading to God or anything about Him, I would say they are okay. It isn’t as though God doesn’t have a sense of humor. It’s mostly Him scoffing at us thinking we’re so big and bad. LOL So, stay humble, and don’t disgrace God or others and enjoy humor that is clean! :slight_smile:

Your original question was:

So I gave you scripture that signifies when a joke becomes sinful.

It depends how you delivery that jokes.
For example you are using it to hurt someone that is a bad joke. Hurting by words is the most hurtful one that physical abuse.
I handle this but not taking to much attention in that joke.
But after a conversation i’m asking for that person what is that joke really means.
You need to confront that person in a loving way so you will not end up arguing with each other.