Aren't Christians Supposed to Judge?

We can make judgments rights? Righteous judgments. How is it? John 7:24 and 1 Cor 2: 15

1 Like

Hello @cocoyoongie. Thank you for this post. Before I answer, may I clarify the question first?

Does your question mean,

Should Christians judge others? Or Can Christians make right judgement? Do you mind elaborating your question :slight_smile: Thanks

How should Christians judge? How righteous is righteous? Please give examples. Is it right to judge?

1 Like

Is It Wrong To Judge Others? | John MacArthur
[- YouTube] ← click here to watch
2 minutes 57 seconds long

To Judge or Not to Judge? - John MacArthur [1 Corinthians 5: 9-13 Q&A] [- YouTube] <— click here to watch
1 minute 59 seconds long

Judging Others The Verse Pagans Love to Quote Matthew 7 John MacArthur YouTube
[Judging Others The Verse Pagans Love to Quote Matthew 7 John MacArthur YouTube - YouTube]<— Click here to watch
2 minutes long

“Judge not.” What Jesus really meant. | Wretched
[“Judge not.” What Jesus really meant. - YouTube] <— Click here to watch
3 minutes 29 seconds long

Are Christians Too Judgemental? | John MacArthur
[- YouTube]<— Click here to watch
2 minutes 39 seconds long

@cocoyoongie, okay. I am quoting from Matthew 7:1-5.

1“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

This passage is about finding fault in others and judging him as if he/she is inferior to me. Jesus is against this. He first wants to check our own faults before judging others. This may sometimes apply to colleagues at other time friends and family.

Before judging it is important to know the underlying intention. There are times we are judged by elders or spiritual leaders to correct us - This cannot be the same judging.

This is another judging. Matthew 18:15-17

15 “If your brother or sister[a] sins,[b] go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. 16 But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’[c] 17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

To be simple, if I intend to harm/put the other person down, judging is not appropriate. But if your judging builds other person up, this is right judging.

But there is yet another judging. This is judging to make decisions. We donot judge to hate but we try to make ourselves aware of the situation and make some important decisions based on that. This is good judgement as well. Because at these points if you don’t judge you cannot make decision and you donot display a responsible attitude. At these points you have to judge based on the information you have and of course seeking God’s help which is the first and foremost.

And for this I suggest you read Romans 3:10

As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one;

There is no one righteous infront of God. All of us are sinners. There might be people that do good things at some points and bad things at other times which is common to all humans.

So here again one has to check their intention of this question. Why do I want to know if the other person is righteous or not. Some people want to know this because the want to show themselves as more righteous than the other person. In this case measuring the righteousness of others is wrong. But if you want to make a decision, you have to seek God’s help to know the other persons behavior with you and experiences from others and have an idea if the other person is worthy and reliable for you to make that particular decision.

Our intentions are usually invisible especially when it comes to judging but everything is open in front of God. He watches the every move of the human heart. Therefore one needs to be very careful about their intentions.

What do you think?

2 Likes

@Moses_C I need a little technical help here.
I accidentally voted my own responding post up, and could not undo the vote. I was trying to vote YOUR responding post. What you wrote about judging is something I would love to see as accessible by link, pinned, whatever. A way to easily find it. I think your answer is the best, most complete and totally Biblical!

Can you take the vote off my response in this thread for me, please?

@Sunami_Carpenter. I couldnt find a way either. Once voted you are not allowed to retract I believe :slight_smile: Your post is equally good I believe :slight_smile:

Moses_C
11m
@Sunami_Carpenter. I couldnt find a way either. Once voted you are not allowed to retract I believe :slight_smile: Your post is equally good I believe :slight_smile:

Thank you for trying at least.

I hope you don’t mind, but I shared your post/comment on Facebook in a group of like-minded Christians. I just think that the Holy Spirit led you and that post is very clear on something that many Christians are confused by because any time we preach the Gospel, all the people shout “Judge Not!” as though that just mows down everything God has to say. Thank you again, for that comment post, here https://community.crossmap.com/t/arent-christians-supposed-to-judge/1783/5?u=sunami_carpenter