As a Christian, how to react when people laugh at you or criticizing you with the rude words?

As a Christian, how to react when people laugh at you or criticizing you with the rude words?

1. Don’t get defensive. We should not be shocked when non-Christians mock our beliefs. Jesus was mocked when He was crucified, and He told us that people would hate us because we follow Him. This is the high cost of being a disciple. When we embrace Christianity, we give up the hope of being popular. I don’t live for the world’s approval, and it’s crazy to expect people who have not had a personal encounter with Christ to respect my faith or applaud my morality.

Second Peter 3:3 says in the last days, “mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts.” A common characteristic of this fallen world is mockery. Unbelievers sometimes mock God, take His name in vain, attack the Bible, make fun of churches and ridicule anyone who follows Jesus. Persecution should never come as a surprise to you. Don’t be shocked when it happens! Paul wrote: “All who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution” (2 Tim. 3:12).

1. Never lash out in anger. In this world of social media outrage and shout-a-thon talk shows, we Christians think we have the right to jump in the ring and scream like everyone else to prove our point. But that wasn’t Jesus’ strategy when He was arrested, stripped naked, scourged and interrogated. When Jesus was being reviled, 1 Peter 2:23 says, “He did not revile back; when He suffered, He did not threaten.”

Jesus either answered plainly or kept His mouth shut. He trusted the Father to vindicate Him. If you are mocked for your faith, keep your cool and bite your lip. Don’t let angry people push your button. God will give you wise words to say if you let His love control your tongue.

1. Pray for your enemies. Jesus said it best in Matthew 5:43-44: “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you.” How many of us actually obey that commandment?

Before you speak with a local abortionist, a gay activist or an atheist professor, adjust your heart before God. Jesus said we must (1) love those who attack us and (2) pray for them. Praying for those who are hostile to your beliefs will enable you see them from God’s perspective. He loves people—even those who mock Him. So should we. After you’ve corrected your attitude, you are more likely to say words that are inspired by the Holy Spirit.

I’ve been mocked for my Christian faith many times over the years. I’ve been called narrow-minded, fanatical, judgmental, Puritanical, Medieval, homophobic, Neanderthal and several choice words I can’t print here. I don’t hate the people who said those things. Instead, I pray they will discover the same mercy I found in Christ—and I pray they find it before they face Him when this life is over.

2 Likes

1 Peter 2:1234:
New Living Translation
He did not retaliate when he was insulted, nor threaten revenge when he suffered. He left his case in the hands of God, who always judges fairly.

1 Like

Matthew 5:44

But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

1 Like

it is very hard to deal with this problem. i also think we should do as Bible teach us. we can pray for God, so we can forgive them. Then we can get bless from God.

I usually keep silent when faced with such a situation.Honestly, it’s not a very easy problem for me to solve.Whenever I face the ridicule and abuse of others, my heart is hurt.I can’t love them right away, but I can be silent, overcome my emotions with the comfort of God first, and then pray for them. Release them and my own heart and soul through forgiveness,

1 Like

i also keep silence in this situation. May be someone can offer a good example to tell us.

【Rom. 12:19-21】
Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: ‘It is mine to avenge; I will repay,’ says the Lord. On the contrary: ‘If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.’ Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

1 Like

Calm down
Know that this kind of behavior is absolutely wrong
Merciful heart, since the person did something not from God’s image in him. The person is controlled by sin. The power of sin is so strong in that person.
Praying for him/her in heart
Treat him/her in a kind way to wake up the kindness inside

Don’t be angry and forgive them as like Jesus showed us how to treat our enemies.

when i do not have grace, i even say back to them. i hope i can overcome one day.

I remind myself that the “authorities” spat in the Lord Jesus Christ’s face, and they mocked Him. They put a purple robe on Him and blindfolded Him and struck Him saying “Prophesy! Who struck you?”

If they treated our Savior and Lord this way, they will treat us this way. You have great reward in heaven for this.

And, if you can, pray for them, even bless them.

John 15:18-25 New International Version (NIV)
The World Hates the Disciples
18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. 20 Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. 21 They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me. 22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23 Whoever hates me hates my Father as well. 24 If I had not done among them the works no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. As it is, they have seen, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. 25 But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason.’

I usually face these moments with silence.On the one hand, I expressed my willingness to entrust the judgment to the Lord through silence; on the other hand, I hoped the he/she could understand that I had done nothing to offend him, so his treatment to me was unreasonable.