Did God abandon Jesus on the cross?

It seems to me that God abandoned Jesus on the cross to die. If God forsakes righteous Jesus on the cross, how can I be assured that God will save me and protect me amidst trials in my life?

No, they are still in love relation

On the one hand, from the perspective of the Lord’s punishment for human SINS on the cross, the moment the Lord was nailed to the cross, he was hidden from God and abandoned – because he was standing in the place where died for people’s SINS.

But on the other hand, from the perspective of the relationship between the son and the father, God loves Jesus.In the face of the son’s death, the father’s heart is painful, so the process from the arrest of the Lord to the death of the Lord the sky is dark, that is the father’s love expression to the one and only son

1 Like

Jesus could choose not to die. He has chance to escape this death. But he is willing to take this cross. Because he knows fully the meaning of this sacrifice.

It’s a choice out of love.

Even sinners now don’t understand the meaning of love. Once they know Jesus’ death is love towards sinners, they will repent and return back to God.

22 Because you disheartened the righteous with your lies, when I had brought them no grief, and because you encouraged the wicked not to turn from their evil ways and so save their lives, (Ezekiel13:22)

For us, we need to clearly know what sin is and defend it. With heart to know the evil sins happened to us are not from God who loves us deeply, but from sins.

Sin will surely be punished in the end. Why does God allow this happen even He could stop it? Because He waits us to repent.

If God quick punish every sin immediately, I believe no one can remain on earth.

yes, thank you for your sharing.

Mark 15:33-34 New King James Version (NKJV)
33 Now when the sixth hour had come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour. 34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?” which is translated, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?”

See notes below for a precise answer. Many have tried to answer this, some from their own reasoning, some from that and what they read in the Bible. This study Bible note is more clear than I could put it.

NKJV MacArthur Study Bible

Mark15:34 Eloi…sabachthani? The Aramaic words of Psalm 22:1. Matthew, who also recorded this cry, gave the Hebrew words (see also Matt. 27:46). why have You forsaken Me? Jesus felt keenly His abandonment by the Father, resulting from God’s wrath being poured out on Him as the substitute for sinners (see notes below on 2 Cor. 5:21).

So, it is rather that Jesus died as your, @Christina-Sharon and my, @Sunami_Carpenter substitute. Why then, would Jesus Christ and God the Father abandon you, whom Jesus died for?

Caveat: Unless a person is not truly saved, in which case, there is hope as long as they are alive and breathing, can still repent of their sins like all truly saved Christians must do, and also turn to Jesus Christ as their Lord (Master, meaning they agree to obey His commands as written in Scripture) and Savior. They put all their trust in Him and begin reading the Bible daily!

NOTES ON: 2 Corinthians 5:21

NKJV MacArthur Study Bible

5:21 Here Paul summarized the heart of the gospel, resolving the mystery and paradox of vv. 18–20, and explaining how sinners can be reconciled to God through Jesus Christ. These 15 Gr. words express the doctrines of imputation and substitution like no other single verse. who knew no sin. Jesus Christ, the sinless Son of God (see notes on Gal. 4:4, 5; cf. Luke 23:4, 14, 22, 47; John 8:46; Heb. 4:15; 7:26; 1 Pet. 1:19; 2:22–24; 3:18; Rev. 5:2–10). sin for us. God the Father, using the principle of imputation (see note on v. 19), treated Christ as if He were a sinner though He was not, and had Him die as a substitute to pay the penalty for the sins of those who believe in Him (cf. Is. 53:4–6; Gal. 3:10–13; 1 Pet. 2:24). On the cross, He did not become a sinner (as some suggest), but remained as holy as ever. He was treated as if He were guilty of all the sins ever committed by all who would ever believe, though He committed none. The wrath of God was exhausted on Him and the just requirement of God’s law met for those for whom He died. the righteousness of God. Another reference to justification and imputation. The righteousness that is credited to the believer’s account is the righteousness of Jesus Christ, God’s Son (see notes on Rom. 1:17; 3:21–24; Phil. 3:9). As Christ was not a sinner, but was treated as if He were, so believers who have not yet been made righteous (until glorification) are treated as if they were righteous. He bore their sins so that they could bear His righteousness. God treated Him as if He committed believers’ sins, and treats believers as if they did only the righteous deeds of the sinless Son of God.

we need to know why Jesus died on the cross.

No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.” John 10:18

Jesus was killed by the sinners. but it’s his obedience to God’s will to save us sinners from death. so God abandon Jesus, so that God will never abandon us any more for we are justified through the faith in Jesus.

clear now?

1 Like