Did God allow incest to happen for procreation?

Incest is immorally unacceptable right? Why did God allow it to happen during those times?

Hi @cocoyoongie When you ask “Why did God allow it to happen during those times?” I assume you’re asking about the days of Lot? When his daughters got him drunk, etc?

If not, please specify what times you are talking about.

Yes the time of Lot. I red that portion. And what abut the time of Noah? How did they populate the Earth again after the great flood?

1 Like

I’ll take the easy question first!

Remember in the story of Noah, Noah’s 3 sons AND THEIR WIVES went aboard the ark. This means they had their wives already and with them had children.

The time of Lot is a different matter.

Genesis 19:30-38 New International Version (NIV)
Lot and His Daughters
30 Lot and his two daughters left Zoar and settled in the mountains, for he was afraid to stay in Zoar. He and his two daughters lived in a cave. 31 One day the older daughter said to the younger, “Our father is old, and there is no man around here to give us children—as is the custom all over the earth. 32 Let’s get our father to drink wine and then sleep with him and preserve our family line through our father.”

33 That night they got their father to drink wine, and the older daughter went in and slept with him. He was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

34 The next day the older daughter said to the younger, “Last night I slept with my father. Let’s get him to drink wine again tonight, and you go in and sleep with him so we can preserve our family line through our father.” 35 So they got their father to drink wine that night also, and the younger daughter went in and slept with him. Again he was not aware of it when she lay down or when she got up.

36 So both of Lot’s daughters became pregnant by their father. 37 The older daughter had a son, and she named him Moab; he is the father of the Moabites of today. 38 The younger daughter also had a son, and she named him Ben-Ammi; he is the father of the Ammonites of today.

The Moabites and the Ammonites were not favored by God or Israel.

Notes from the MacArthur Study Bible

NKJV MacArthur Study Bible

Genesis 19:31–36 The immoral philosophy of Sodom and Gomorrah had so corrupted the thinking of Lot’s daughters that they unhesitatingly contrived to be impregnated by their own father! They were virgins (v. 8), the married daughters were dead (v. 14) and there were no men left for husbands (v. 25). In fearing they would have no children, they conceived the gross iniquity.

One thing I would highly recommend when reading the Bible: when you read about human beings (versus God) you will always find sin. That is a result of the fall, described in Genesis 3. Too many people make the mistake of idolizing Old Testament “heroes” then getting upset when they notice they sinned.

Romans 3:23 New International Version (NIV)
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

All, means all. ALL. Read the following carefully and meditate on it.

Romans 3:10-17 New International Version (NIV)
10 As it is written:

“There is no one righteous, not even one;
11 there is no one who understands;
there is no one who seeks God.
12 All have turned away,
they have together become worthless;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.”
13 “Their throats are open graves;
their tongues practice deceit.”
“The poison of vipers is on their lips.”
14 “Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.”