Did Jesus knew that Judas will betray him before he chose him to be His disciple?

If Jesus knew that Judas will betray him even before he chose him, why did He choose Judas?

Because that was God’s will. Jesus says “I always do my Father’s will.”

John 8:29 New International Version (NIV)
29 The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases him.”

Do you read the Bible, @Ebenesar-Arun?

EDIT 20 days later:
Wanted to add scripture that answer this question about Judas and Jesus knowing he would betray Him, why did He choose Judas?

Psalm 55:12-14 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
12 For it is not an enemy who reproaches me,
Then I could bear it;
Nor is it one who hates me who has exalted himself against me,
Then I could hide myself from him.
13 But it is you, a man my equal,
My companion and my familiar friend;
14 We who had sweet fellowship together
Walked in the house of God in the throng.

This is one of the prophecies in connection to your exact question @Ebenesar-Arun. I’m sorry it took me so long to find them. The book “The Gospel According to Jesus” by John MacArthur goes on at some length about this very question and among other scriptures, quotes the above one as well as two more from that same book about this issue over Judas being chosen:

John 13:18 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
18 I do not speak of all of you. I know the ones I have chosen; but it is that the Scripture may be fulfilled, ‘He who eats My bread has lifted up his heel against Me.’

Psalm 41:9 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
9 Even my close friend in whom I trusted,
Who ate my bread,
Has lifted up his heel against me.

Thank you for your response @Sunami_Carpenter. But why? How can God’s will be for someone to betray? For instance if I betray someone am I allowed to say that it was the will of God?

No, we are not the ones who determine God’s will by pinching a scripture to use for ourselves, any more than any of us can use King David’s sin to excuse our own.

You asked an important question: “But why? How can God’s will be for someone to betray?”

See Isaiah 52:13-53:12 for the detailed, and rather excruciating description in prophecy about 700 years before Christ’s coming. God willed that His Son would die as a propitiation for our sins. Are you not asking why about that, but why about who betrayed Him? Why not ask “why did God allow His Son to die”? Truth is, this is God’s will, and to our great benefit. We either accept it as it is written in Scripture as God’s will or we reject God’s will. I know, I have trouble with parts of it too. But if I call Jesus my LORD, then I bow to Him and God the Father as my Masters. I am not their master, advisor or teacher. That is damnable.

If you are using scripture to look for excuses (I don’t think you are, but writing this for other readers) you are looking at scripture for all the wrong reasons. Nothing we do, say, or read can make God forgive our sins. It is entirely up to God whom He will save. Trying to bribe the judge with scriptures won’t work any more than trying to bribe a human judge.

Okay, back to you @Ebenesar-Arun because it is the will of God to be done once and is recorded in scripture does not mean it is “prescribed”. Lots of people confuse “described” with “prescribed” in the Bible. I highly recommend looking those two words up in a dictionary even though you already know what they mean, to see how far apart they really are from one another. And to give you a ridiculous answer so you can see how unBiblical this idea is (though sadly, it is spread about by today’s false "prophets’ and teachers) let’s say because you read about how Moses parted the Red Sea, you go to the Red Sea and raise a staff expecting God to part those waters for you. Will that happen? Of course not. It’s ridiculous. It is easy to spot when looked at that way.

The best way to avoid this error is to look for commands from God the Father and God the Son and any from the Holy Spirit through the old prophets in the Bible. However, always keep in mind that when there are specific people named in a prophecy, one must realize that the prophecy was for the people named. It may be a “type or shadow” of something to come later in the Messiah, but it is not about you or me in those passages where specific people are named.

Remember: The Bible is an Historical book as well as the Spiritual book we already see it as. So just because something happened in history doesn’t mean we should repeat it. Right?

1 Like

I feel sorry for Judas that God’s will had to come true through him.

I believe that Judas’ betrayal was not God’s will. Just like the fall of Adam and Eve is not God’s will of His creation.

God’s will of the creation is to fulfill the kingdom, this is a world about love, and love is based on freedom. God gave human being freedom and commands, human needs to do there part, which is to trust in God and His love behind the commands. But we did sin against God.

After the fall in the Garden of Eden, God’s will is to save the sinners and fulfill the kingdom. Judas betrayal was sin, he didn’t believe Jesus is the savior. God hate sin. Judas’ betrayal was not God’s will, it was Satan’s work, even though God’s will will not change and He turned the sin around, through the cross, Jesus opened the door of salvation for us.

Actually, this need more words to explain, if you have any question, welcome to reply.