Did you fully understand the book of Revelation?

I’ve read the book of revelation several times, however, there were some parts of it that I don’t understand especially on the part of the beast on the sea and several other characters that were described in the revelation especially in Revelation 13 which mentioned the number of the beast which is 666. Although I’ve read about it multiple times, sometimes it confuses me.

The book of Revelation is an interesting read although, it is extremely difficult to understand. However, it is not impossible to understand though since God preserved it for us and Christians in the early centuries have understand it as it gave them comfort through the midst of persecution.
I think to better understand this book, one must have a good knowledge about Jewish Apocalyptic literature and Jewish numerology.

Rev 13:18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

number six means man because humanity was created on the sixth day.
and another significant number here is three,
three patriarchs of Israel,(Abraham, Isaac, Jacob), three sons of Noah, and most importantly the Godhead, Father, Son, Holy Spirit.Mattew 28:19
six is the number of man and three is the number of the Godhead.
So in my opinion 666 shows that men tried to be like God but failed.
As for the question, who is that 666, I don’t think it refers to a single person. I believe it refers to any person or institution that tried to become like God
Throughout history, there have been a lot of people or organizations that have tried to do that but failed and I believe in the future, more people with that mindset will arise.

1 Like

Great analyzation though! I haven’t tried to look at it in your perspective especially on the meaning of the number of the beast. and I think you’re right, one must be knowledgeable in the Jewish literature when it comes to studying the book of revelation. Thank you for this! What an interesting read.

The book of Revelation provides the clearest biblical portrait of the events of the tribulation, dealing with the specifics of that terrible time (chapters 4–18). The tribulation will be a time of judgment, a time when those left on the earth after the rapture will suffer deeply for their nonbelief. John pictured this judgment as a series of twenty-one events—inaugurated by the breaking of seven seals, the blowing of seven trumpets, and the pouring out of seven bowls. This grand judgment on the sinfulness of humanity shows the seriousness with which God views sin—payment will be exacted from those not covered by the blood of Jesus Christ.

1 Like

No, not yet. I think the book of revelation has so more to it than what we think it is. Maybe, our crurrent understanding of that book is just the tip of the ice berg. Just like you said, it’s confusing and it will give you questions after questions.
Even I could not yet comprehend the whole book. From its name - revelation, I know that it has purpose why it is the last book in the bible. Maybe if we can fully understand the former books then it will be a great help for us to understand the latter.

1 Like