Do angels have free will?

We know that humans have freewill. As it says in Hebrews Angels are ministering spirits or serving spirits. My understanding is that servants do not have free will. But we see that the angel of light who is Lucifer chose to disobey God which shows that angels had free will. I am confused between these two. Any thoughts?

Yes, i think so. Or Satan could not go bad.

Are we not the servants of God? And if so, has our “free will” been taken away? As far as I can tell, no. It has not.

A third of the angels fell with Lucifer. That clearly indicates that they, of their own free will not to mention pride (the same sin we brag about in regards to our “freedom” or “free will” especially in American culture, but present throughout mankind) chose to leave God.

There is free will. For both angels and man.
Yet God is sovereign.

This seeming “dichotomy” has been the ruin of many brilliant Bible scholars throughout church history. The only explanation I have ever heard that really DOES explain it is John MacArthur’s answer: “Both exist. Just because we think they cannot does not mean they don’t. There are some mysteries of God we will just never understand.” After all, if we could understand everything, would we not be as wise as God?

“It is not good to eat too much honey,
nor is it honorable to search out matters that are too deep.”
-Proverbs 25:27

EDIT: Though this does not answer your specific question of whether or not the angels have free will, it is an excellent teaching on what man’s free will and God’s sovereignty are about and how they co-exist.

If God is Sovereign, How Can Man Be Free? - RC Sproul

1 Like

I think the fact that there are fallen angels among angels shows that angels have free will.If angels have no free will there is no possibility of sin. What is the concept of angel‘s free will? It’s hard for me to answer, because I think it is also a mysterious world. I still need further study to understand.

1 Like

And, I doubt it’s my business to understand what the angel’s standing with God is. I’m too busy learning what my standing with God is! :blush:

your sharing is interesting!