Do not seek honor from Men

Reflection from Raluchukwu Onwuzuluigbo

Good morning,

Topic: Do not seek honor from Men.

It is understanding that a baby will go for less because they don’t understand value or worth. They are only interested in what appeals for their immediate gratification. For example, if you present to a baby a cube of diamond and a candy, surely, the baby will go for the candy. But you wouldn’t expect such from an adult, who has come of age and knows the worth of things. Unfortunately, we are like babes in religious matters, if we choose praise from men(immediate gratification with no eternal value) rather than from God(exceeding great reward which has eternal value).

Jesus warned seriously against such life style, when he taught saying, “make certain, you do not perform your religious duties in public so that people will see what you do and praise you, If you do these things publicly, you will not have any reward from your Father in heaven (Matthew 6:1). Unfortunately, many are tilted to seek praise and glory from fellow men and in such loose out from every reward from God.

Yet in another teaching, Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples to observe and flee from the lives of the teachers of the Law and the Pharisees of their time, who were the authorized interpreters of Moses’ Law. Saying, "they do everything so that people will see them. Look at the straps with scripture verses on them which they wear on their foreheads and arms, and notice how large they are! Notice also how long are the tassels on their cloaks!(Matthew 23:1‭-‬2‭, ‬5). The disciples and the crowds never knew that such seemingly minute issue like this can make God not give his approval on a man.

Jesus in another occasion, said to the Jewish authorities, “I am not looking for human praise. But I know what kind of people you are, and I know that you have no love for God in your hearts. You like to receive praise from one another, but you do not try to win praise from the one who alone is God; how, then, can you believe me?(John 5:41‭-‬44) In the same way,. Paul writing to the church in Thessalonica, said to them, we do not try to please people, but to please God, who tests our motives. We did not try to get praise from anyone, either from you or from others,(1 Thessalonians 2:1‭, ‬4‭, ‬6).

Who are you seeking to please? What is the motive behind your actions. God watches the heart of man. He knows our intent and motives, Let us then do our best as Paul advised Timothy to seek to win full approval in God’s sight, as a worker who is not ashamed of his work, one who correctly teaches the message of God’s truth.(2 Timothy 2:15).

Regards.

1 Like

Stand still keep the posture of an upright man, ready for action, expecting further orders, cheerfully and patiently awaiting the directing voice; and it will not be long ere God shall say to you, as distinctly as Moses said it to the people of Israel, “Go forward.

Upon reading this devotion…it reminds me of certain politics who are helping other people but broadcast it afterwards, like posting it in social media…We need to understand that sometimes when we provide help to someone and broadcast it, the person we provide the help to feel is less grateful. Although there is a freedom of expression and we cannot blame some of them, but we have to remember that it is not how many posts you have that matters…it is the good deeds you have made in silence that counts…:wink:

I remember a video I watched in facebook. There’s this girl who constantly posts about her life on social media enjoying it to the fullest, obtaining a thousand likes. Everyone praise her and wants to be her friend. She seems happy but behind the camera, is a woman who is insecure, anxious and depressed. I’ve read a lot of reflections about this. And personally, the more you seek praise from people, the emptier you will feel. I’ve also experienced this during my 20’s before I built a relationship with God. As I go deeper with his words, allowing it to penetrate my heart, my actions followed and it’s true, there is nothing fulfilling but to only praise no one other than God.

1 Like

Whatever you do, God knows your purpose. You can trick everyone except for the Lord God. He sees what other people cannot and He sees whatever it is you are trying to hide from Him. Do things with good intentions and for the Lord God.

I agree, I know a lot of people that are very happy on social media yet if you see them in person, they are sad and lonely. Do not depend your happiness on other people’s opinions. You will end up doing things that will make them happy and not you.

@kbadum: I agree…I have known a lot of people posting their life in social media too… its like posting one status now and a minute after another status again…but the most liked status remain in the timeline and the less liked are deleted…and it’s true that behind that poser is a person who lacks confidence to herself/himself and envy people who are more popular than her/him…I guess I’ve been once a poser too, but not because I lack confidence; it’s just that I use my popularity as a source of earning extra income…in-short online seller haha! I thanked the Lord for giving me wisdom to use social media properly and never again tempted to post just to earn more likes from a nonsense post…