Do people become more or less religious with age?

Everytime I go to church, I only see churchgoers that are aged from 50’s and above. I can’t see church attendees below 20’s attending Sabbath day.

It’s a good question. I am from China, it is similar situation, it is difficult to see young people in the church. I felt this is caused by the following reasons, just in my opinion.

1. The church didn’t pay much attention to evangelize the young people.

Nowadays, there are many philosophy, theory, culture and thoughts that go against the Bible. They have deep influence on the young people, The church didn’t know the spiritual situation of the young people well, so it’s difficult for them to communicate with the young people. There is big gas between them. And even in the christian family, the parents don’t know their children well, just teach them and command them, but they don’t have good relationship of love and trust, there is no real communication and understanding, many children are far away from the church.

1. There are few real disciples of Jesus Christ in today’s church.

There are many Christians in the world, but few are real disciples of Jesus Christ. A believer may go to church every weekend, they attend the church activities actively, but it is difficult for them to lead people to Jesus Christ. The world need more real disciple who can follow the example of Jesus. God’s kingdom is not based on quantity, but quality. God can do great work just through one people who really devoted himself fully.

The young people face many challenge and temptation, but their soul are seeking truth, we should become the true testimonies of Jesus Christ, they can see God through our life. Like the word became the flesh(John 1:14), we should live the truth out, our faith could not be formalism, but with the truth and the spirit. :revolving_hearts::revolving_hearts:

John 12: 24 Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.

Proverbs 22:6 “Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it.”

I don’t think people will become more or less religious with age. Getting older does not mean that that one will automatically be interested in religion or spiritual matters. We carry the things/habits we learn in our childhood into adulthood. This means you are likely to be religious as you grow older only if you were religious early on in your life.

1 Like

Well said @Katefcc! Maybe its upto the parents upbringing and teaching that matters. During my childhood days, my mom will really initiate the move to wake us up early every Sunday and as a family we will go to Church. Young generations today are so hard to be please. Does that mean that the parents today are irresponsible for not instilling the “going to Church every Sunday” policy to the youngsters of today?

Hi! I believe that young ones just needed a little more guidance and not be carried away from the trends against God. Quite sad but some trends on social media are unrighteous and the young ones look at it as a “cool” thing and follow it. They need guidance and accept God in their life.

Hi! I believe people may have a lot of reasons why they didn’t go to church service.

1. They are busy with their schools, work, family affairs and etc. they forgot the importance of the Lord.
  2. Maybe they had an experience wherein people on the church offended them.
  3. They felt unwanted on the church because of how they look, they dress up, they speak, they move.
  4. The foundation of their relationship with the Lord is not build in a solid ground.
  5. some are avoiding correction:
    1 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when men will not tolerate sound doctrine, but with itching ears they will gather around themselves teachers to suit their own desires.

I hope this can help you.
God bless!!