Do you believe in ghosts?

Hi! What are your thoughts about ghosts? Do you think they exist? What does the Bible have to say about it? Share your thoughts and opinions.

What does the bible actually say about ghosts? Well, virtually nothing, except a few New Testament references to His disciples thinking Jesus was one.When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear. Matthew 14:26, NIV

“Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.” Luke 24:39, NIV

Jesus did not deny the existence of ghosts; He simply said He wasn’t one. So really, what in the world are they? The Greek word used in each of these verses is “fantasma” which simple means “appearance” or “apparition, specter”. Well I know that wasn’t helpful, so let’s start with what they are not and work our way backwards from there.

1 Like

There’s a really controversial story in 1 Samuel 28 where King Saul spoke to the ghost of Samuel (who was already dead at that time) with the help of a medium. Based on that incident alone, yes, I believe in ghosts, but not as how the movies portray them. Zombies, vampires, and werewolves are stuff of fiction. The term “ghost” is synonymous to “spirit”, which is why the Holy Spirit is also often referred to as the Holy Ghost. Belief in ghosts is belief in the spirit world, and belief in the spirit world is belief in everything that the Bible says about God, angels, demons, heaven, hell, and other things that we cannot see in the material world.

1 Like

Wow, thank you for that @zayn22! :blush:

Hi, @eestioko! Thank you for that information! :slightly_smiling_face: