Does baptism of Holy Spirit means speaking in tongues?

I have heard some pentecostals say that I need to speak in tongues if I receive the Holy Spirit. Just wondering if I am required to speak in tongues if I receive the Holy Spirit?

No. You are not “required” to do so. Don’t let them pressure you by saying to you that if you do NOT speak in “tongues” (and actually what they mean is glossolalia, not actual languages spoken of on Pentecost) that they will not know if you are truly born again, a Christian, etc. You do not need to prove yourself by being “slain in the Spirit” either (falling backward while being caught by other people).

The following photo shows from Acts 2:9-10 that the “tongues” that were spoken on the day of Pentecost in the New Testament were real languages!

If you wish to test the difference, ask the Pentecostals talking to you about this if they can “coach” you on it. They more than likely will say something like “just babble” or “just talk baby talk”. This is insulting to God, the Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ. Instead, spend time reading your Bible so you can become familiar with what actually is God’s will versus what is man’s will. God bless.

I think that speaking in tongues is an expression of being moved by the holy spirit, but I don’t think that being baptized by the holy spirit necessarily means speaking in tongues.What I do know is that the concept of being baptized by the holy spirit is more widespread than the concept of tongues.

i do not think so. i think if someone accept Jesus as his Christ, this means he received Holy Spirit. Some people could not say tongue, when they were baptized.

1 Like