Does faith need proof?

Faith is our assurance it doesn’t need proof. Even today, “by faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible” (Heb 11:2).

If our faith does not produce works, it is dead. In other words, if we claim to have faith and have no works to reveal that our faith is real, then we are lying to ourself and perhaps to others but most importantly we are lying to God. A faith that saves is a faith that works. It is not the works that save but the faith that works is a saving faith. It is genuine faith.

I believe in God words in this verse:
First Thessalonians 1:2-3 “We give thanks to God always for all of you, constantly mentioning you in our prayers, remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.”

This verse fits perfectly with James “faith without works is dead” verse and so I put it right after his verse. This reaffirms what James was saying that believers have a “work of faith and a labor of love.” This faith is real because it naturally labors to produce works and as a result of the faith that we have good works come out and the results of our good works is the evidence that our faith is genuine (James 2:17).

I remember the story of Thomas. He said, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.” After a week, Jesus came and he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.” Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God.” Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Faith comes from our inner core. We have it because of the workings of the holy spirit within us. In Hebrews 11:1, it says that “faith is an assurance about what we do not see.” The more that we allow the holy spirit to work in us, the more confident we become that we do not to be proved with anything in order to believe.

Yes it would be very difficult if we are in that situation of having to prove our faith while evangelizing. But faith as explained in Hebrew 11:1 (NLT) 11 Faith shows the reality of what we hope for; it is the evidence of things we cannot see. God wants this from us, to have full and total trust in Him, even if we don’t see or touch Him, we know from the bottom of our hearts that He is there and we are in the palm of His hands.

On the second point about evangelism, 1 Peter 3:15 (NIV) “15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.” We should believe that Jesus is our Lord and Savior, and if God presents us with an opportunity to share who Jesus is in our life, then we should be ready to bear witness and tell everyone that He is the only way the truth and the life. But we should do this with hi regards and respect to that person, and still go back to faith, allow God to use us as a vessel to open the eyes of that unbeliever. We are just the mouthpiece of God, but still His divine intervention will produce a genuine believer.

FAITH is a word of action.
Some folks believe that in order to have faith in Christ, you must examine certain proof and draw a conclusion. Others object, suggesting that if you have to have “proof” to believe, faith really would not be faith at all?

“For the invisible things of God since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity; that they may be without excuse: because that, knowing God, they glorified him not as God, neither gave thanks; but became vain in their reasonings, and their senseless heart was darkened” (Rom. 1:20-21).

On the other hand, as the New Testament clearly indicates, faith involves much more than having a conviction concerning the Lord, or even a willingness to trust him. Faith also involves submitting to the divine will in obedience to Heaven’s requirements.

Walking by faith and not by sight requires you to go to a place you do not know, one that God will reveal as you walk in obedience. Just look to Abraham as an example (Genesis 12:1).

Walking by faith means that you continue to cling to the dreams God has planted in your heart, even when you’ve been thrown away, taken to prison for crimes you didn’t commit. Just look at all Joseph endured (Genesis 37-50).

Walking by faith requires a strong determination to follow God’s plan regardless what life throws your way. Look to Daniel to discover how to have the resolve not to sin (Daniel 1:8).