Does faith need proof?

Does faith need proof?

2 Likes

When Jesus appeared to the disciples, he told Thomas, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” So I think some people need some people proof first then to have faith, some don’t need. I want to emphasize the real faith is above the seen world. It’s from God’s words. However, the indirect proof could help people to build faith on what they didn’t see.

4 Likes

On one hand, for the relationship between God and us, we need to have faith in God because the true love cannot be understood by reason or analysis.
On the other hand, if we want to evangelize, we need to organize and witness the Gospel to unbelievers. Maybe we need to explain the history in different ways, proving that the reality of the Bible and the background of historical events. However, when the unbeliever accepted Jesus as their savior, it is still the faith that matters not the proof. Actually, sometimes the evidence and proof were just tools that help people to see God. But the only way to God is accepting Jesus Christ through faith in the heart.

3 Likes

In my opinion, I think sometimes the faith need to be proved, through this process our faith become bigger and bigger. But the true faith doesn’t need to be proved. As the faith of Abraham, by faith, when he was called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going, this is true faith. We obey the will of God, do not doubt, do not analysis, totally believe in God.

2 Likes

@Thosmas I agree with you.

2 Likes

Yes, when we think of Thomas, we always think of what the ressurrected Jesus says to him:“Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

It does not mean that to have a proof for our faith is not good, but to have faith first is very great. Proof can help us to confirm what we already believed. And also, proof can help some people to believe and that is why we need to share our testomy to others, expecialy the unbelievers.

I think we do not proof on the future, but we need testify the work of God if we experience.

It’s not to proof the existence of God, but to believe in God. Proof is related to human’s reason, analysis, and logics; but Faith is related to trust and belief.

1 Like

As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead. --Jas2:26
Did James talk about proof of faith here?

Yes, but God blesses more to the people who belive in God without the proofs.

“Faith doesn’t need proof, but when we believe in God, the proofs come out automatically.” It is so graceful.
Faith does not deny reason, but it is beyond reason. Sometimes we cannot proof the Faith, because it is beyond reason. But when we believe, we can experience what we believe.

Faith should come to a place that do not need proof. Object of faith should be God. When we put our trust on God, we can trust what he says and what he commands us to do even sometimes we cannot understand. When Abraham was asked to offer Isaac as sacrifice, it is really difficult to understand. But he obeyed because of faith. After that, God told him the reason.

God is the God of reason, Isaiah 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD…
So He provided proof of His existence and proof of the Bible.
For example, the magnificence of the creation points to a creator.

Romans 1:20 King James Version (KJV)
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Let’s take a look at one of the definitions of faith.
Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen

Let us see why God recorded the miracles done by Jesus Christ.
John 20: 30 Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book. 31 But these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in His name.

The miracles were recorded to serve as an evidence(proof) that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God.

There are more verses in the Bible that shows that the Bible itself provides enough evidence for us to have faith in God.

Hebrews 11:1 says that “faith is the evidence of things not seen”. By it’s very nature, faith implies a lack of proof. Faith is essentially believing despite a lack of evidence. So if you need proof in order to believe then you don’t have faith, you only believe. It is worth noting however that the more evidence or proof you have had in the past, the easier it is for you to have faith in the future when different unknown situations arise.

For Me We see nothing, we hear nothing, we feel nothing but we believe. We believe through every problem. We keep believing, even as we seem to be lost in the ocean of tears. We keep believing, even as we seem to freeze to death in the icy, dark desert of loneliness. We believe, even if we still wait and don’t understand why it’s taking so long. We believe. Why? Because: “Then Jesus told him (meaning Thomas), ‘Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.'” (John 20:29; NIV;

According to Hebrews 11:11 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
sometimes nothing to lose if you believe.
being a believer once in a while is a strong proof that God is doing something great in our lives. We cant see winds, but you feel it, we believe in it.