GOD OF ALL PLACES AND TIMES

Reflection from Silas Kaule

GOD OF ALL PLACES AND TIMES

Mt Carmel and Beersheba. Contrasting places and times for Elijah, the Prophet. At Mt Carmel, Elijah stood up for God against the prophets of Baal. His mind was focussed on God. He was brave. His faith was rock - solid. His prayer for fire to burn up the water-drenched sacrifice was instantly answered by God. Elijah was on “top of the world” at Mt Carmel. But hours later, he was “down” at Beersheba.

A bone - chilling revenge message from Queen Jezebel frightened Elijah. So he “ran for his life.” (1 Kings 19:3). Elijah forgot God and the victory at Mt Carmel. His mind was focussed on his biggest worry - Queen Jezebel. His fear sky - rocketed. His faith plummeted. Suicidal thoughts reigned in his mind. Finally, he cried out in despair: “I have had enough, LORD. Take my life…” (1Kings 19:4). God heard Elijah and sent an angel to comfort and feed him. Regaining strength, Elijah went on to Horeb where God redirected his focus to serve Him again. At all times and places, God never left Elijah’s side.

Elijah’s God is our God today. He is the “God of the Mountains” - He is by our side when we go through good “high” times. Like Elijah’s Mt Carmel victory experience. God is also the “God of the Valleys” - He is by our side when we go through the bad “low” times. Like Elijah’s Beersheba experience.

No matter where we are now or what we are going through, remember God’s promise: “…Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you.” (Hebrews 13:5). If God was with Elijah in both his good and bad times, so will He be with us too! Now that is our God of all places and times!