How can I know God's will in my life?

How can I know the will of God for my life? Yes. I am a Christian. But God’s plan and will regarding my future is very vague. How can I know for sure that something I do especially for my career is the will of God?

1 Like

This is something I am also struggling with. However, I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel so I thought I would share it with you, and perhaps it will help.

First, we must have GOD our Savior FIRST in our lives. If we do, and we live a life that includes daily saturation in His Word and repentance daily for our sins, and we keep walking in The Way, The Truth and the Life (Jesus Christ) i.e. we delight in the Lord, then whatever our saved and cleansed hearts want to do, we should do. If we are convicted of sin on a regular basis (and repent) then what our hearts will desire to do will be good. However, for me, I needed even more than that. So I asked 3 sisters in Christ to give me feedback on what I have been doing (and I did this privately, of course) to see if perhaps I was not doing God’s will. I got answers from them in ways I did not expect. But it was very helpful in guiding me toward what I might do for the Kingdom of God.

These are also helpful to me:

Proverbs 16:3 (NIV)
3 Commit to the Lord whatever you do,
and he will establish your plans.

Matthew 6:31-33 ESV
Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

Proverbs 3:6 (NIV)
“…in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.”

Never be afraid to go to the Bible for help with any problem in life you have. Praying God will guide you and draw you to Himself in your search.

Hi @Sophia, I came back with more to add, feeling that my answer was somewhat helpful but perhaps not as helpful as it could be.

See this: How Can I know God’s will for my life? from gotquestions dot org. This is a really full explanation! God bless!

1 Like

Adding this as it’s VERY helpful!!! Clear.

Renewing Your Mind | Discovering God's Will | May 12, 2020 ← Here
or
Discovering God’s Will - Sinclair Ferguson ← Here
Both give you the same result.

Hello, dear @Sophia
This is one of the things that we always find hard to understand… See! The Lord is not a magical being or some voice in our head who tells us what to do… He gave us free will so we can manage to find our way to him by our own desires! He’s not like spelling things to our ears constantly, he’s always with us but he respect us and waits for us to be ready to talk to him. This is the same for his will for you, you will only know it when you have done it. In the meantime do what you like to work or study, always by the rules of the Lord and the teaching of Jesus Christ being a good Christian and a good person all the time.
Kind regards, Luis Guerrero

@Sophia, this is what I do. As we build our relationship with our friends, neighbors and co-workers, we need also to build our relationship with by knowing Him more. God’s will of the Lord in our life is in the process also, it is a way of our walk with Him. We shall follow also what he said, in Proverbs 3:5-6

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.

As we give our trust God, we begin to understand Him, we surrender and obey ourselves to Him and we tend to follow God’s Spirit when it comes to decision-making in our lives.

I want to share a quick video of a Missionary:

Hello my Friend Patience and faith in God is all we need and just hold on to His promises just trust Him God will never failed us because God plans is perfect in His time just have faith and never doubt in Him. Proverbs 3:8 Seek His will in all you do and he will show you which path to take.

This is really difficult because of our selfish nature. Speaking for myself, I’m struggling with this because I always insist that what I want will always be God’s plan for me. What’s happening is that instead of entrusting I am insisting. Insisting what I want is never good, based on my life’s experience, God sometimes gives in to my insistence. It did happen, I was happy, God received countless “thank you” from me, but at the end of it the answered prayer was not the answer I was searching for. Point is this, we pray to God that He is our God, we tell Him our desires and request for it, but we allow God to be God, let His will be done and surrender everything to Him. To answer the question - How can I know God’s will in my life? - lets just pray and surrender everything to Him, and for sure His plan for us will surely happen, no matter what the situation is God will do something to give us the favor we deserve as His children. Just like Joseph who was betrayed by his brothers, he just allowed God to move in his life. Yes there were hardships but in the end God’s favor reigned supreme.

This is a very difficult question. God is a supreme being. He is all-knowing, all-powerul and all-present. His ways are beyond human understanding. In Isaiah 55:8-9, he said “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor your ways my ways. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” However, he has given us the gift of discernment. Pray. Let the holy spirit guide you. Listen to his voice and trust Him. “Walk by faith, not by sight.” 2 Corinthians 5:7

Hello @Sophia
God’s will for our lives has reason and purpose. It is through scripture, where we can find meaning and principles discerning God’s will. Use these Bible verses to gain a better understanding.

Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

1 Timothy 2:3-4
3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

Say Amen!! Praise to you Lord God!