How can I overcome sin in my Christian life?

Do you have some successful experiences in overcoming your sin in Christian life? Can you share with me?

By ourselves we can’t overcome it. Before I had computer game addiction. I couldn’t imagine my life without it, even I has become a Christian, but my heart sometimes was so empty, I must play game to satisfy myself. I know the game is virtual world, and everything is not real, what I really need is the relationship with people, receive love and give love, but this knowledge couldn’t save me. I prayed for this, and as time went, I found I was not a slave of game any more, for my value changed, I realized that my heart could be satisfied by other things, like serving in the Church, teaching the Bible and so on. And my life was revived by Holy Spirit. So I think it’s better not to focus on the sin, but on the right and noble things we should do. And pray for God’s grace and the power of Holy Spirit, we can overcome sin.

2 Likes

@greenland What’s your sin, could you tell me some details?

Only by the grace of God, he has raised us from the darkness by his only begotten Son.

1 Like

This is very important. I also want to know and overcome sin in my faith life.

1 Like

I’m afraid I must admit that Every Single Time I have successfully overcome sin, it has been with the help of God.

There is a scripture in the Bible that explains why this is so.

Luke 18:26-27 NKJV
26 Those who heard this asked, “Who then can be saved?”
27 Jesus replied, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.”

I have found this to be the ONLY way I could overcome sin in my Christian life. I tried to do it myself, and I ended up with bleeding ulcers from the effort. (Not saying that will happen to you, or anyone else, just making the point that the human effort it takes is Herculean, and more.)

I pray that you will turn to Jesus as your Savior and ask Him to rid you of your sin. Then bury your nose in your Bible daily to truly hear what God says to us all.

Pray hard. Asking the Holy Spirit fall down and fill your soul with God’s words.

【Gal.5:16-17】
So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.

For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want.

1 Like

The way is to know God more. Stay with God, think of Him,
If you have some bad habits, just shape a good instead of it.

I’m concerned @Faith. Your answer leads me to ask you, “how do YOU know God more?”.
If you have to change your own bad habits by “shaping a good” habit “instead of” the bad one, where does God fit in? Perhaps I’m just not understanding what you were trying to say. Would love it if you could straighten me out here.

Rely on the Holy Spirit, not rely on myself. God can help us, so we need to pray more.

You can overcome your sins by stopping whatever you are doing. Open up the Holy Bible and read it more turn away from those sinful things that you’re doing bc we have all falling short to the will of God I myself has been through that struggle of choosing but you must not wait there is a choice that we all have and that is choose either to live right or be rebellious of living in the flesh this is not what God wants us to do.

It is very hard to anser, for we even cannot change our bad behavior in our life. However, we still can be helped by the Holy Spirit, We can get rid of sin by asking for God’s help.

It can be very painful while overcoming sins that might have been tangling Christians for years. At the first couple of years of my Christian walk, I remember I did lots of fasting and kept listening to God’s words while I tried to cut off my sins. My advices are not try to defeat your sins but rather desire God more and his love and grace. That’s the light overs darkness.

Get close to the Word of God, and rely on the Holy Spirit.