How Can I Stop Giving into Temptation?

I must be the worst Christian in the world. I really believe in Jesus and I want to do what’s right, but every time I get around my old friends I forget all about Jesus and end up following the crowd. How can I stop being so weak?

Hi, Lia, I really understand your situation. Most Christians had the same experience with you. First, you should keep your faith in God that He loves you and this love is unconditional, so that when you are weak you can still come before God to seek His grace and mercy. Second, change your life habits, keep away from those people and the things would take you into temptation, ask the guidance and power form Holy Spirit, He will help you.

1 John 2:15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father[d] is not in them. 16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world.

2 Likes

There are many good verses that will help you overcome certain temptations. Memorizing Bible verses targeted to combat your areas of temptation will be a protection and defense. 2 Corinthians 10:4 and 5 talk about pulling down things that get a stronghold in our life.

You need to work on memorizing a list of Bible verses that will help you avoid temptation. You cannot rely on finding a Bible at the moment of temptation. These verses have to become second nature to you.

Spend time in God’s word daily. Make it a habit. By knowing you will be confronted by the Bible in your reading tomorrow it can help you stay focused on God today.

If now you couldn’t overcome it, escape the environment of temptation. God has promised to make a way to escape temptation. If you will look for the escape route then you can flee the temptation. Many times this way of escape is to literally walk (or run) away. Temptation often comes when you find yourself in certain situations or places. When you recognize one of those situations it is time to pack up your stuff and get out of there. (1 Corinthians 6:18; 10:14; 1 Timothy 6:11; 2 Timothy 2:22)

1 Like

Do you really want to change?

2 Timothy 2:22 Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

As Christians we have direct access to God. There is no place in the Bible where we are taught that we must confess our sins to others to have forgiveness from God. However, the Bible does teach that creating accountability with someone else can help you in your struggle against temptation (James 5:16).

You do not need to go into detail with your accountability partner about about your struggles, but they do need to know how to pray for you. Find someone who is a mature Christian. Often your pastor can fill this role, but it can also be a fellow church member. Tell them that you are struggling in a certain area. Look through the Bible together finding verses that will be a help to you. Have your friend ask you occasionally how you were doing in this area. Once a week is usually often enough. Make a promise to your friend that you will not lie to them when asked about how you are doing. You only hurt yourself when you lie to the other person. Ask your friend to pray for you—not stand in judgment.

@Lia you have received quite a few answers and many are sound.

I think you have already said your own answer in this “but every time I get around my old friends”…

Perhaps some of the hardest crosses I’ve had to bear was walking away from something I considered enjoyable in the past because it no longer sits okay in my soul. I become weak, as you said. It is important that we take seriously our salvation and our relationship to Christ and make it a first priority. Your earnest upset tells me you have done that. What is harder to hear is someone telling you that you should give up your old friends. I can’t tell you that since I do not know you or your old friends. But in response to what you wrote, it seems you already know what situation tempts you to become weak. I encourage you to do what is necessary to not make yourself weak in Christ. You have far more to lose if you do, than a few old friends, who may or may not be completely trustworthy, whereas our Lord and Savior is always trustworthy.

God bless you, and know you are not the “worst” Christian in the world. You are one of the “real” Christians. You obviously have His Holy Spirit in you prompting you to be grieved at becoming weak.

Getting close to the Lord and God every day. It will help me be close to God. When I am drawn closer to the Lord, I would not be separated from the Lord and God. And of course, keep away from those secular friends. This is always needed.

Hope God can help you be desirable for his love and words.

Read Bible words everyday to make a strong faith.
You can change your habit.

If we can’t reject it, we just flee away from it. It is the best way. Maybe it can bring you some pleasure, but later you will feel empty, because only God can satisfy us.
I hope you can spend more time with God, the more you know God how much He loves, the more you will can overcome your weakness.
God bless you

Nowadays its so hard to not to fall in a temptation.
I said this Because the Technology Many Temptation in Web right now. We can’t control this era everyday is a future. To stop giving into temptation we must focus on Gods Plan and keep on praying. Its a mind over matter situation also.
It’s not a overnight work but we must try and try.

Hello, dear @Lia
To what kind of temptation are you giving up? It depends on the nature and severity of it… What I can tell you right now is that, is good that you accept that you are being sinful, its the first step. After that, now you have two option, one that is to completely cut ties with those friends but the presents the problem of constant temptation, and two to really rise from the occasion you can be with your friends and share with them without giving up on temptation change them to be better to be with God. I hope you do the second one!
Kind regards, Luis Guerrero.

Temptation may even be a blessing to a man when it reveals to him his weakness and drives him to the almighty Savior. Do not be surprised, then, if you are tempted at every step of your earthly journey, and almost beyond endurance; but you will not be tempted beyond what you are able to bear, and with every temptation there will be a way of escape

Hello dear. Fighting temptation describes a battle that is as much spiritual as it is emotional or physical. To be tempted is not a sin. Everyone is tempted and at different levels. Even Jesus was tempted! Temptation happens when the opportunity is presented to do what we know is wrong, whether against God, ourselves, or others. Being tempted is not wrong - it’s the decision to do wrong and the corresponding action that follows.

Ask the Lord God for help. It will be very hard to fight it the first few days, weeks, or months, but trust me you’ll overcome whatever it is, if it is something specific. But generally, we all get tempted, just do not ever entertain those that you know can harm you and other people. Generally, temptation can be very hard to battle. But hey, with God, nothing is impossible, right?

We can stop giving into temptation by avoiding it. “If your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out.” Mark 4:7 If we try to control temptation in a way that we still expose ourselves to it, we will fail. Our spirits may be willing to turn away from sins but our flesh is weak to handle such pressure so it is best to avoid exposure to temptations.

Hi @Lia! How are you?
I think that we can drive away any temptation ruining our life if we just believe. We need to first believe in ourselves in order to surpass any circumstances. We have the capability to ignore temptations if we believe we can. We are stronger than temptations. We should talk to God everyday and ask for strength. It all starts with yourself.
Matthew 26:41 "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.: