How can we overcome the feeling of failure?

How can we overcome the feeling of failure?

Having been pretty much a failure (or at best, a weak, end of the line contender) throughout my life, I think my only answer is that when I was saved, that feeling completely went away.

This is because God agrees with me: I can do nothing apart from Him.

John 15:5 New International Version (NIV)
5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

This seems trite. It is not meant that way and is the opposite of trite to me. This means everything!

Our culture (and many other cultures) put much emphasis on specific accomplishments, promising good feelings, victory, and riches. Unfortunately, many of the most rewarding things have no notice from the world. No good feelings at the time, perhaps not even what seems a victory, and certainly no wealth of this world.

But when God fills me up every day, as I get up and read in His Word daily, I am filled with something far more substantial than mere “success” or “failure”. I am filled with victory in Christ. In Christ I can do all things.

Philippians 4:11-13 English Standard Version (ESV)
11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

and

2 Corinthians 12:9 New International Version (NIV)
9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

We cannot often be the wisest, the greatest, the strongest, the smartest, the coolest, etc. And even when we read the stories of those who WERE considered such in this world, we find out they did not feel as great as people made them out to be.

Take heart, dear friend.

1 Like

I feel better after admitting my failure, my weakness and my powerless.

1 Like

Pray for God to strengthen us in our hearts. Even though it seems like we’ve failed in the moment, we never know what God has planned. Like David who was chased out by Saul and had to live in a cave, he met many people who in the end helped him build up the kingdom of Israel.

Perhaps our higher goal in life should not be success, but maturity. Both success and failure make us more mature, mature in love, and be perfect in our relationship with God, which is more meaningful.