How do you deal with envy?

The reason I’m working so hard in my career and to make myself beautiful is because I’m envious ;( Other people are born pretty, they have it easy in life looking beautiful. If I can get the same perks they’re getting for being beautiful, then I’ll have to start making myself pretty. Same goes with work. It’s hard to look around for something “unconditional.” For instance, before you get promoted at work, the condition is that you pass the company’s metrics. Things like this.

I especially envy my very wealthy classmates back in college. I was able to study because I was a scholar, but I wish I could have enjoyed the stuff my college classmates had back then. Until now I’m not enjoying those things that I want. It’s tough feeling envious like this, distracts me a lot.

So how do you cope with your own waves of feeling envious?

1 Like

Hi! Yes, there are things other people have that you do not. That’s normal. Nobody is perfect. One thing you can do whenever you feel envious is to accept the fact that you cannot have everything in life and that’s okay. The Lord God gave us life, I believe that enough makes us so blessed. We have to be contented with what we have. Instead of envying others, we strive hard for ourselves and achieve our goals.

Instead of envying other people with what they have in life, let us appreciate with what we have. Like, focus on the things we have rather than the things we do not. Envy can ruin our mental health.

"Happiness is found when you stop comparing yourself to other people.” ~Unknown~

If you feel envious to someone, take some time to focus on yourself. Unplug from social media and have some more “me time”. I think all of us can feel envious but always remember that we are valuable. Each of us is unique, we may not have everything we want today and right now; but that does not take away our worth.

Remember that you are perfect the way you are…so cheer up!

That’s a feeling everyone of us are vulnerable to, @Apr. However, the Bible is very clear in the matter of comparison. 2 Cor. 10:12 says, “We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise.” See, comparison will only make us ungrateful. If we don’t settle this issue, resentment and bitterness toward God may ensue. This is why God wants us to be thankful in whatever situation we are in (I Thess. 5:17). :revolving_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

A thought to ponder: You aimlessly envy someone but that person you’re envying sleeps peacefully at night. In other words, envying will never do you any good.
Just keep on keeping on! :hugs::pray:

There is nothing wrong if you are working hard. However, it is better if you do it for the right reasons. For example, if you are more financially stable, you can have a more comfortable life and you will have more opportunities to help others and also the church.
If you are working hard just because you are envious of others. Then you will never be truly happy and your labor is just in vain.
If you are not happy with your current situation, you will never be happy no matter what accomplishment you will achieve.

Php_4:11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.

1Ti 6:8 But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.

If you are happy with what you have, then you will be more happy with the things that you will achieve from your hard work.

1 Like

Hi… It is good when you have known and identified that you feel that envy thing. So it means that you are aware.

Envy obviously is works of the flesh something that is against the Spirit of God.

So personally I deal it with simply coming to God and tell everything that I feel envy and the reason why I feel it and for sure there’s nothing that God cannot deal.

I tell everything to God with NO mask and just coming to HIM as I am and surely He will delivered me and help me how yo deal with it after all laying down everything to HIM.