How do you pray?

Hello, dear friends,
I have this question for you, how do you pray? Do you have a particular way?
In my case, I learned from my aunt (who had the call of God and left to try become a non) that praying is a conversation with the Lord, he’ll listen and confort us in any thing we have in our minds, after that I end up my praying time with an “Our Father”, a “Hail Mary” and a “My Guardian Angel”.
It’s an habit as of now. Tell me your ways.
Kind Regards, Luis Guerrero

It is good to have a habit of praying. Personally, I do my best to pray before I go to bed and after waking up. I pray to the father through Jesus Christ.

John 16:26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:

I also use the pattern of the Lord’s prayer whenever I pray personally or in a congregation.

Matthew 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

2 Likes

Prayer is simply talking to God and the most important thing I can say about this is that God wants us to talk to Him! He loves us and He has promised to hear us when we pray. I do pray the Lords prayer everyday in no particular time. I can be sited in the car, in school, while doing chores and still pray the Lords prayer silently.

1 Like

I agree with @Valerie.
And I would like to add on that prayer is one of the evidence of our relationship with God.

In any relationship, communication is one of the vital part.

Prayer is simply communicating with God as our good good Father and also a best friend.

I pray anytime and anywhere being aware that He is with me, for me, in me and not against me.
Applying the verse pray without ceasing.

And also the pattern of Lord’s Prayer.
We pray to the Father, in the name of Jesus and by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Just come as you are to HIM.

2 Likes

I close my eyes and just talk to God. I open up to Him, give thanks and ask for forgiveness.

1 Like

My university upbringing has contributed a lot to the way I pray. Being introduced to the insights of St Josemaria Escriva has been a life-changer for me. The gist of his teaching is to
“find God right in the middle of every day life.” (https://opusdei.org/en-ph/section/saint-josemaria/). This to love and serve God in my every day work. This means loving the work that I have to do (and endure) for His glory because ultimately, it’s not just to please Him, but to improve myself with each work that I’ve done.
I believe that anything that I do for His glory will also improve my own humanity.
So yes, I want every work that I do be a prayer to Him to whatever I’m aiming for. 'Cause that’s how I derive my strength to go on despite the hardships that bring me to tears right now.

1 Like

To pray to the Only Living God, we are not to pray to anyone but the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. Period.

If you are Catholic, you will of course pray to saints (dead people who supposedly are more perfect than any of us ever are on earth) or “Mary” who is NOT the mother of Jesus. The mother of Jesus died a normal death. Read the Bible looking for every mention of Mary the mother of Jesus and you will find out everything God and Jesus have to say about her. She is gone. Whoever the Catholic Church “worships and prays to” that they call “Mary” is another god. However, having said that, I was never a Catholic. So don’t just take my word for it (except about what’s actually in the Bible about her, that I know after reading the Bible 11 times over).
Check out someone who has studied Catholic belief from Catholic literature instead:

I have had some difficulty praying. What helped me was to read a Psalm a day (there are 150 of them, so you can read the whole book almost 3 times a year at one Psalm or so a day). I began to realize that most are prayers! That helps me a lot. I now incorporate different Psalms and scriptures in my prayers.

Psalm 103 is great for praise, Psalm 51 is great for repentance (we sin every day, much to our chagrin, but take heart, pray for forgiveness and ask God’s help to not keep doing that particular thing), I find the end of Psalm 139 to be GREAT as a daily prayer:

Psalm 139:23-24 KJV 23 “Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: 24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”

Also:

Psalm 86:11 “Teach me Your way, Lord, that I may rely on Your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear Your name.”

In asking for wisdom:

• “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.” James 1:5
and
• James 3:17: “But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy.”

Or another way is like this:

Please keep me from arrogance and rebellion which are like divination and idolatry.
[See 1 Samuel 15:22-23]

Hoping this will help someone. :blush: