How Jesus responded to violence

This week, we’re exploring Jesus’ teachings in the context of this crisis. What did our Lord teach about responding to violence? Consider two principles, each of which depends on the other.

One: Refuse to return violence for violence. When Peter attacked the servant of the high priest in defending Jesus, our Lord told him, “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword” (Matthew 26:52). He wanted us to break the cycle of vengeance, not perpetuate it.

Two: Seek justice. Jesus described a woman who continued to seek “justice against my adversary” from the court (Luke 18:3). The Bible affirms our responsibility for self-defense (cf. Exodus 22:2–3; Proverbs 25:26; Psalm 144:1). When the proper authority prosecutes crime, it “carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer” (Romans 13:4).

Just as it is illogical to blame all police officers for the actions of some, it is illogical to blame peaceful protesters for the violence of some. But it is also illogical to honor the memory of one victim by victimizing others.

Conversely, it is logical to treat others as we wish to be treated. Just as people tend to return violence for violence and hate for hate, they tend to return grace for grace and love for love.

What’s more, this ethic is the command of our Lord (Matthew 7:12) for all people, at all times, in all places.

Including you and me today.

1 Like

I agree with this @Jimmy_Ka…they cannot bring back the life of Floyd…and it is not a solution to revenge especially that a lot of innocent people are involved. People out there are merely blinded by hate, and they wanted to spread hate to other peoplw they encounter too…May this hatred end and peace reign…

Hello, dear @Jimmy_Ka
Loved this post! During this difficult times it’s pretty showing the state of the world… We don’t notice, maybe because there are other priorities in other places, but people die because things like this every day. And when you don’t have anyone who will respond for you, you have to defend yourself or at least try to change it.
What I don’t really like is how people are taking the opportunity to put chaos, be it by looting or rioting. Protesting is one thing… But protesting by destroying or robbing the innocent is as sinful and wrong as the reason for you are supposed to be fighting. I think you summerize it here:

I will pray for the whole world to God, to find solutions… I too hope this thing stop a little bit, sometimes it feels people have forgotten we have a deadly virus on the air.
Kind regards, Luis Guerrero.

Very well said @Jimmy_Ka Violence will never be justice. It will never bring back lives that are lost. Returning violence for violence only multiplies violence, fueling hate with more hate will only make the fire bigger and its not getting to the root of the problem. What happened to George Floyd was really terrible. This has highlighted the issue of race discrimination, not only in America but around the world.

Let us pray for the these people and the whole world. A lot of things are happening and everyone is frightened.
Today, may we choose worship over worry. Choose faith over faith. Choose peace over panic by believing in a sovereign God who gives us all his saving grace.

Yes, this is true.
Violence will never be a solution to anything and it will only trigger more unwanted violence. I salute the peaceful protesters in the country because they are continue fighting for justice. I just hope that the people who governs do not blame all protesters for the violence of some.
May we all pray for them and for their safety especially during this pandemic. May people end racism by opening up their minds because God created us all equally and we did not choose how we want to be born. He made us in His own image and we should accept every bit of what He has created.

1 Like

I am deeply saddened by what is happening in our world today. I pray that this chaos will end. May they be enlightened by the grace of the Lord and see God in the hearts of people. I hope that they will settle the issue in the right way and not through violence.

1 Like

Yes verry well said. Try to change our heart and try to spread the message of Jesus, which is a message of an act of love and compassion always reaching out as he does in today’s Gospel to teach, to heal, to bring solace and compassion.

Violence!

Jesus’s suffered the most violent death that could ever be imputed on a human being! His flesh was torn and ripped, his head was mangled with thorns, he was nailed to a plank, he hanged on a wooden cross to die, and he was pierced by a spear! He was bloodied, tortured, torn to pieces, murdered, and laughed at.

How did he respond?

He prayed to the Father to forgive all those who did such violently horrible things to him.

Amazing grace.