How to repent and ask for forgiveness

how to repent and ask for forgiveness? Do you have to ask for forgiveness for individual sins or do you just ask/pray for forgiveness and you are forgiven for previous sins? I keep coming back to this and am worried about this.
I don’t know why I keep coming back to this, I’m trying to list my individual sins each time I ask for forgiveness. but I never asked for forgiveness for sinning until a month ago. I know I won’t be able to remember all my sins from before I decided to come to God. so I’m worried I’m messing up and I don’t want to mess up.

I know jesus didn’t ask the thief on the cross to list his sins

3 Likes

You have to be truly sorry for all your mistakes. You have to completely change your habits eliminating those that are bad. Diet is also a major part of it. Most of the food supply has poison in it if your read the labels and society has made it the cool thing to do to eat unclean animals.

Dustan Larkins

Repent is translated from the Greek word metenaeao. It literally means to change your mind, and they saw their mind as their heart. Repentance is a change in our hearts of how we live our lives. It happens every day as we seek to follow the way Jesus lived and teaches us to live. Ask God to teach you through the Holy Spirit how to live each day.

Bobbi Erben

I totally hear you on this one. And I always go back to the thought that I better make sure!! I hope God really does make an exception when he looks into our hearts.

Robyn Leigh

BIBLICAL Repentance for SALVATION IS When we repent ONCE from unbelief & dead works: SEE HEBREWS 6:1: unto BELIEF in Jesus Christ! If you have FAITH in Jesus Christ (The gospel first Corinthians 15:1-4) then you have repented!!! From what? Unbelief and DEAD works unto faith in Jesus Christ!! _________________The word repent, defined: it comes from the GREEK word:Metanoia meaningMeta=changeNoia=mind"Change of mind"_________________Many understand the term repentance to mean “a turning from sin.” Regretting sin and turning from it is related to repentance, but it is not the precise meaning of the word. In the Bible, the word repent means “to change one’s mind.” _________________The Bible also tells us that true repentance will result in a change of actions (Luke 3:8–14; Acts 3:19). In summarizing his ministry, Paul declares, “I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds” (Acts 26:20). The full biblical definition of repentance is a change of mind. _________________The connection between repentance and salvation: The book of Acts especially focuses on repentance in regard to salvation (Acts 2:38; 3:19; 11:18; 17:30; 20:21; 26:20). To repent, in relation to salvation, is to change your mind regarding sin and Jesus Christ. In Peter’s sermon on the day of Pentecost (Acts chapter 2), he concludes with a call for the people to repent (Acts 2:38). Repent from what? Peter is calling the people who rejected Jesus (Acts 2:36) to change their minds about that sin and to change their minds about Christ Himself, recognizing that He is indeed “Lord and Christ” (Acts 2:36). Peter is calling the people to change their minds, to abhor their past rejection of Christ, and to embrace faith in Him as both Messiah and Savior. _________________Repentance and faith can be understood as two sides of the same coin. It is impossible to place your faith in Jesus Christ as the Savior without first changing your mind about your sin and about who Jesus is and what He has done. Whether it is repentance from willful rejection or repentance from ignorance or disinterest, it is a change of mind. Biblical repentance, in relation to salvation, is changing your mind from rejection of Christ to faith in Christ.Repentance is not a work we do to earn salvation. No one can repent and come to God unless God pulls that person to Himself (John 6:44). Repentance is something God gives—it is only possible because of His grace (Acts 5:31; 11:18). No one can repent unless God grants repentance. All of salvation, including repentance and faith, is a result of God drawing us, opening our eyes, and changing our hearts. God’s longsuffering leads us to repentance (2 Peter 3:9), as does His kindness (Romans 2:4).While repentance is not a work that earns salvation, repentance unto salvation does result in works. It is impossible to truly change your mind without that causing a change in action. In the Bible, repentance results in a change in behavior. That is why John the Baptist called people to “produce fruit in keeping with repentance” (Matthew 3:8). A person who has truly repented from unbelief unto faith in Christ will give evidence of a changed life (2 Corinthians 5:17; Galatians 5:19–23; James 2:14–26).Amen.

Bee Bernette

(3) The Sin Offering was a sacrifice for those sins which were unintentional (cf. 4:2, 13, 22, 27). The term “unintentional” is more carefully defined by God elsewhere:‘Also if one person sins unintentionally, then he should offer a one year old female goat for a sin offering. And the priest shall make atonement before the LORD for the person who goes astray when he sins unintentionally, making atonement for him that he may be forgiven. You shall have one law for him who does anything unintentionally, for him who is native among the sons of Israel and for the alien who sojourns among them. But the person who does anything defiantly, whether he is native or an alien, that one is blaspheming the LORD; and that person shall be cut off from among his people. Because he has despised the word of the LORD and has broken His commandment, that person shall be completely cut off; his guilt shall be on him’ (Num. 15:27-31).In some cases, the “unintentional” sin is one which is not recognized at the time committed. We might call this a “sin of ignorance.

Scott Kevin Rinehart

There is no way we could remember every transgression we have ever committed in our lives. Forgiveness is complete.

Sharon Dale

Daily repentance is better than waiting around for a month to do it.

Jeffery Blakeley

I struggle with this thought process as well. I pray to God and ask for each sin. I don’t know if I’m right or not but God knows what’s in our hearts.

Heather Wilson

Does it really matter? Ask forgiveness and repent, whether you ask for forgiveness for a single sin, or for all sin, the important thing is to repent and move forward.

Mickey Emrick

This question needs to be put in some sort of context. BIBLE BULLETIN Who THE SON sets free…. is FREE INDEED! We must rest in the Spirit and not work in the flesh! John 8:36. What is the will of the Father? To BELIEVE on him whom he sent! John 6:29. It is Paramount as believers: THE SAINTS—truly understand (in order to walk in victory: Ephesians 6:10-18 & Ephesians 6:12) our spiritual POSITION IN JESUS CHRIST once born again by grace through faith. See 1 Corinthians 12:13. Those in Christ by grace through faith in the gospel (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) have already achieved the following by the power and grace OF GOD! See Ephesians 2:8–10, Titus 3:5–7, Isaiah 64:6, 1 Corinthians 1:30. Believers have been born again in the Spirit by grace through faith forever, and sealed forever unto the day of redemption! The Holy Spirit lives inside us forever! 1 Corinthians 12:13, 1 Corinthians 6:17, John 3:5, Ephesians 4:30. Believers have been saved, positional sanctification and justification (1 Corinthians 6:11) are being saved, spiritual maturity (1 Corinthians 1:18, Hebrews 6:1) from glory to glory and will be saved, or glorification in heaven with the Lord! Romans 5:9, 1 John 3:2. Believers are a NEW creation in Christ! (2 Corinthians 5:17). Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. Believers no longer walk in darkness or the flesh— but now they forever walk in light and Spirit: Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: See Colossians 1:13, Romans 8:1, Ephesians 4:30. Believers have already been justified and sanctified or*** set apart from the world ***by grace through faith, (See 1 Corinthians 6:11, Romans 3:20–26, 2 Corinthians 5:21)! Believers already been forgiven for sins (we are dead to sin and alive in Christ, Colossians 2:13, Ephesians 1:7 & 4:32, Romans 6:11) by grace through faith in the WORK OF THE CROSS! 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, John 6:29. Believers have already been delivered from the eternal consequences of sin by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. (See 1 Corinthians 15:1–4, Romans 6:23, John 3:16-18, Ephesians 2:8-10, Titus 3:5–7.Believers have already repented! Repentance for ETERNAL SALVATION IS When we repent ONCE from UNBELIEF & dead works Towards faith in God: (SEE 2 TIMOTHY 2:25 & HEBREWS 6:1) unto BELIEF in Jesus Christ! If you have FAITH in Jesus Christ (The gospel first Corinthians 15:1-4) then you have repented!!! From what? Unbelief and DEAD works unto faith in Jesus Christ!! ________________The word repent, defined: it comes from the GREEK word:Metanoia meaningMeta=changeNoia=mind"Change of mind"The Bible also tells us that true repentance will result in a change of actions (Luke 3:8–14; Acts 3:19). In summarizing his ministry, Paul declares, “I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds” (Acts 26:20). The full biblical definition of repentance is a change of mind. ________________The connection between repentance and salvation: The book of Acts especially focuses on repentance in regard to salvation (Acts 2:38; 3:19; 11:18; 17:30; 20:21; 26:20). To repent, in relation to salvation, is to change your mind regarding sin and Jesus Christ. In Peter’s sermon on the day of Pentecost (Acts chapter 2), he concludes with a call for the people to repent (Acts 2:38). Repent from what? Peter is calling the people who rejected Jesus (Acts 2:36) to change their minds about that sin and to change their minds about Christ Himself, recognizing that He is indeed “Lord and Christ” (Acts 2:36). Peter is calling the people to change their minds, to abhor their past rejection of Christ, and to embrace faith in Him as both Messiah and Savior! AFTER we are saved, we will be enabled (empowered) to turn from sin by the power of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:17), however we must understand that believers will not reach sinless perfection until we are Glorified in heaven with the Lord! Colossians 3:4, Romans 3:23. I proclaim again: Who THE SON sets free, is FREE indeed! We must receive it by GRACE THROUGH FAITH! Amen!Romans 4:5-8, Romans 3:20-26, Ephesians 2:8-10, Acts 16:31, Galatians 2:16, Romans 8:2, John 3:16.

Bee Bernette

If I said something I shouldn’t have said I say sorry Lord immediately. If I forget I ask for forgiveness for every thing I did or said when I remember. I don’t name them one by one. There’s nothing I do wilfully.

Tholsee Reddy