I said I think you do not need to go to a priest for confession as you can pray directly to God as Jesus taught in the Our Father

ood morning. A few days ago I was talking with a Catholic priest and we were discussing confession. I said I think you do not need to go to a priest for confession as you can pray directly to God as Jesus taught in the Our Father, “…forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who have trespassed against us.” His response for needing to go to a priest for confession was based from John 20: 22-23 "And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.”
He said that Peter being the first Pope, “…on this rock I will build my church…” and that because of Jesus having breathed the Holy Spirit on them that on that basis we should go to a priest for confession and that this verse cannot be ignored.
As I am sure there are members of this group that are my intelligent than what I am, wiser and knowledgeable, I would appreciate any comments regarding this.
God bless

Steven Vickerman

Sometimes when we seek to be forgiven we NEED or want to talk to a live person in strict confidence…and hear Gods word. A GOOD, REAL, priest or pastor can do this and it helps. However, reading off a list of sins and being assigned a number of our … See more

Mary Horan Tinklepaugh

I love just talking to our Pastor he makes speaking and listening to him a joy to being a Catholic. Just stop and listen ,I hear Jesus through many priests. Listening is learning. MAY GOD BLESS US ALL.

Mary Gavaghan

The rock is Jesus and Peter is not the first Pope. We are told to confess our sins to the Father through Jesus. Baby baptism is unbiblical as well as sprinkling water for baptism. Sunday worship for the Sabbath is unbiblical. The Roman Catholic Church … See more

Patrick Strickler