If God knows everything, why I need to pray?

The Bible says God is omnipotent, He knows everything. And the Gospel book also tells us this truth.

John 2:24 But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all people.

John 16:30 Now we can see that you know all things and that you do not even need to have anyone ask you questions. This makes us believe that you came from God.

If so, why I need to pray?

God works through our prayer, and through prayer, we can know God’s will and have a closer relationship with Him. We should know that God is not just a God who satisfy our own desires.

God hears our prayer, He knows our hearts through our prayer, it’s very important.

1 Like

You are right God is omniscient, He know all our thoughts. He even knows what we will ask before we ask them. But, I have three boys and there are times that I know what they are going to ask me but I listen anyways because I love the relationship I have with them and I want them to know that I care for them. The same goes for our relationship with God.

1 Like

Good question. For me, the prayer is good to me. When I pray, and when God fulfills my prayer, I will realize it’s the work of God. And for me, there is nothing happier than meeting God in prayer.
Prayer will generate my urgent heart to seek the will of God, to do good things in others’ life.

Amen. The relationship with God is the point :heartbeat:

God is omnipotent, but sometimes He limited himself to know everything. That’s one reason we need to pray and tell God what we need and what we think. Sometimes, God prefers to act like a human, He want to have a true relationship of love and faith with us.

God already knows all of us, but God wants us to earnestly ask God. This is why we pray. Jesus also prayed. He always prayed before doing anything. When we pray, God hears our prayers and works together. Prayer is a way of communicating with God.

1 Like

In fact, whether we pray or not, everything is predestined and everything is going to happen according to God’s purpose. But it has entirely different meaning for us.
“If I pray aright, God is graciously working out his purposes in me and through me, and the praying, though mine, is simultaneously the fruit of God’s powerful work in me through his Spirit. By this God-­‐appointed means I become an instrument to bring about a God-­‐appointed end. If I do not pray, it is not as if the God-­‐ appointed end fails, leaving God somewhat frustrated. Instead, the entire situation has now changed, and my prayerlessness, for which I am entirely responsible, cannot itself escape the reaches of God’s sovereignty, forcing me to conclude that in that case there are other God-­‐appointed ends in view, possibly including judgment on me and on those for whom I should have been interceding!” (A Call to Spiritual Reforma8on, 165, D.A. Carson)
When we pray, God uses this for His purpose. God changed us as a new creation, so we are no longer a slave of Satan, but now we are God’s loving servant. And He uses us as His co-workers. He is using us as his great part of love, and He makes what we do valuable. When we pray, this is our privilege.
Also, when we pray, there are are so many benefits, such as our faith growth, our spirit get stronger and our life become very rich. Comparing the person who pray and who do not pray, the person who prays a lot, his all things work well. If someone said we do not need to pray, because God knows us very well, that is a lie. Because Jesus our Lord said that we should pray.
Luke 18:1 Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.
Our destiny is that God will use our prayers and preaching to fulfill his loving will.
James 5:16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
The prayer of a righteous person who lives by the grace of God and His love is powerful and effective, and God would surly used his prayer. Through his prayer, God would change the people and circumstance. As we pray, we also experience the power of God, and we also have deep fellowship with God when we pray and we talk to God. We experience great mercy as we have deep prayer.

1 Like

Because the Bible says we are to pray.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 New King James Version (NKJV)

16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

And

Luke 18 New International Version (NIV)
The Parable of the Persistent Widow

18 Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2 He said: “In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared what people thought. 3 And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, ‘Grant me justice against my adversary.’

4 “For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, ‘Even though I don’t fear God or care what people think, 5 yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won’t eventually come and attack me!’”

6 And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7 And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8 I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?”

1 Like

Even God knows everything, we still need to pray, because God is not a machine, but a loving father. He wants not only to support us with every thing we need, but also enjoys the loving relationship with His children. We pray not only because we need help from God, but also we want to communicate with God and show our love toward Him.

Seek His Face…Not only His Hand

1 Like

Prayer is the communication with God. Although God is the God of omniscience and omnipotence, the relationship between us and God is the relationship of love and mutual need. God wants us to respond in love. And ask God for help.

Amen

That is a good question. i even quit my prayer when i ask for God’s help. When i pray, i think i may noise. God may like quiet moment to do things. i need keep quiet, Then i quit. Later, i find God wants to build love relationship with me, so God ask us to pray. Then i know the essence.