Is 10 commandments still valid?

Jesus is the fulfillment of the Old Testament. We are the people of the new covenant. Paul says when new comes old disappears. So my question is - Is 10 commandments still valid and should we keep it everyday?

I have read some commentary books before. There are different opinions, one opinion says the laws God gave to Israel have different categories, some are just for the Israel, for examples, the laws about food, some are for all the people, for example, the 10 commandments. The Christian do not need to obey those laws for Israel. I agreed this opinion. Just the Sabbath day is Sunday for Christian, for Christ died on the cross and was risen on Sunday morning.

2 Likes

Think of it this way:

You are reading a fun novel, say a murder mystery. At the beginning you learn of all the characters. Then you learn of what happened. Then you are taken on the journey to find out “who done it”. If I were to tear out the first 2/3 of that book and say “Here, all you need really is the end where it tells you the answers” you would be left with asking “What answers?” And “Why”?

Christians are to fully obey the 10 commandments, and more. Jesus made the understanding of two of these 10 commandments clear in His life on earth. And the requirements of God are even higher in the New Testament than in the old so read this quote from Jesus carefully:

Matthew 5:21-30 New International Version (NIV)
Murder
21 “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

23 “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.

25 “Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. 26 Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny.

Adultery
27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

We are to obey all other 10 commandments. When approached by the rich young ruler, Jesus began to go through the second set of the 10 commandments, asking the young man if he had kept all these. But the rich young ruler did not admit his sin and proudly claimed he had kept them all. But he also inquired of Jesus what he was lacking. Jesus told him he must sell his possessions, give to the poor and come and follow Him. That rich young ruler walked away, unsaved and sad because he “had many possessions”. In other words, the law once again proves that without salvation, without repentance, we cannot of our own will power fulfill the commands of God.

If the following is correct:

2 Timothy 3:16 New International Version (NIV)
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

then that means ALL scripture. There are reasons for all that is done in the Old Testament. While the New Testament is clear that all foods have been declared clean by Jesus Christ, and both Peter (who had a vision) and Paul support this, then that one is changed, even for the Jews.

If we read the Bible through, it becomes apparent why it is ALL necessary. That does not mean, for instance, that we stone people to death. It also doesn’t mean we follow the sins of David when he murdered Uriah and committed adultery with Uriah’s wife, Bathsheba. Nor does it mean that we lie like Isaac did, or like Abraham did. Or even Sarah, when she laughed then was afraid and said “I did not laugh.” We cannot fool God, as Sarah found out when God Himself said “You did laugh.” It’s worth it to look at all God’s Word. To study it and to take it in CONTEXT. It’s taking it out of context that makes people get confused about whether or not this or that law is something we follow or not. If you need it, consult a Study Bible.

Personally, I highly recommend the MacArthur Study Bible - mostly because it’s the one I have and I trust his treatment of scripture more than most.
You can find it here ===> MacArthur Study Bible at Amazon

1 Like

Thank you @Steven and @Sunami_Carpenter for your reples.

2 Likes