Is having an anxiety attack a lack of faith or a physiological response?

Is having an anxiety attack a lack of faith or a physiological response?

2 Likes

This is a difficult question. In 2 Timothy 1:7, it says that “For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.” Scientifically speaking, Anxiety attack is all in the mind. It is usually caused by what we feed our minds with. Overcoming it depends on the person. In the medical field, there’s this term called systematic desensitization that involves relaxation techniques to help you overcome anxiety. On the other hand, if we replace our thoughts with God’s promises, it will slowly begin to change us and help us overcome anxiety.

@FaithinGod: Maybe for me it is both…It can be a lack of faith as well as patience, that is why we tend to think advance to things that we have no control and became anxious everytime we don’t meet the output… we lose faith in ourselves that is why depression strikes…But anxiety attacks can be controllable by simply feeding your mind positive thoughts, reading self help books, pray anxiety bible verse and seek God thru prayer…

For me as a Christian in my own opinion, just my own opinion with no scientific reference or evidence. Having anxiety attacks is a result of our lack of knowledge of who God is and what is the scope of His power in our lives. A realization I had because of this pandemic, I’ve learned to listen to God and to study His word, for me to be able to know Him more as a God who is control of my life. I’m not saying that I no longer have anxiety attacks, but the difference now is that, I’ve learned to allow Him to take control of my anxiety. My sleepless nights became lesser, my palpitation is now being limited. The moment I take myself under the presence of God I feel genuine peace, being still and knowing the He is God. “I will be still to know you are God”. From the song Still by Hillsong.

1 Like

I agree @IamRichardJohn…the previous days that I experience was maybe a result of my thoughts…I allow myself to be eaten by my emotions…but honestly it has a positive effect…after I release my emotions I feel calm and able to sleep straight without distractions for the first time…

1 Like

A very powerful word you gave Ms. @MakkaPakka, that is word is RELEASE. When it comes to dealing with anxiety attack this word is very important, because this condition plays inside our mind and it needs to come out to be dealt with, and releasing is the key. We can release it to our family, especially to our partners in life because they are the ones we can truly trust. But before opening up to them we should first open it to God, because above all He is the one who understands us well.

Hello @FaithinGod in my opinion we might still feel afraid, but we can believe that God is with us. We may not be in control, but we can trust the One who is. We may not know the future, but we can know the God who does. God said in Philipians 4:6-7. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Hello, dear @FaithinGod
I think it’s a physiological response, as it’s something that can happen to any person. It’s a response against anything that bothered you, and I myself had anxiety in the past, and it’s like it happens just for things you could consider “bad”. The church has always differentiated actual diseases with religious effects, and I think it’s the right way, hospitals are the place to look when your body tells you you’re bad. With faith you can get better, but that’s only have been assigned treatment with a professional, of course if the situation needs it.
Kind regards, Luis Guerrero.

Hello @FaithinGod I am no longer anxious about anything, as I realize the Lord is able to carry out His will, and His will is mine. It makes no matter where He places me, or how. That is rather for Him to consider than for me; for in the easiest positions He must give me His grace, and in the most difficult, His grace is sufficient.

True @IamRichardJohn…sometimes we really have to release our emotions so we will feel better…I am a secretive type of person when it comes to dealing with my emotions…I only burst out when I can no longer hide it and it gives me a relief most of the time…and then I pray to God for a brand new beginning again…

1 Like