Is it a Sin to Be Depressed?

Is it a sin to be depressed? The doctor says I have a chemical imbalance in my brain that he can treat with medication, but a friend of mine says I shouldn’t do this because I just need to pray and have more faith. Who is right? I can’t stand this much longer.

1 Like

If it is short-term, I think you can take medication.
a persistent feeling, you should check the real reason, do you worry a lot about your life? Is there peace in your heart? Try to read God’s word and build faith in Him. For the Bible says, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus (Phil. 4:6-7)”

We are told that as children of God, we are to be joyful and happy—without feelings of hopelessness or even thoughts of suicide. We are told that if we stop sinning, then we will stop being depressed. But is it impossible to stop sinning, right?

We are usually depressed because there is no hope and confidence. If our lives are always filled with the conviction of God’s love and plan for us, there will be no gloomy feelings in us. We always believe that if there is God at the center of our lives, we will always live with joy and joy. I personally think that falling into depression is not a sin. But you have to try to overcome it. We must depend on God, pray, and move on. When your heart is in trouble, pray deeply and earnestly to God. It will be the first step and the greatest comfort for overcoming depression.

I would like to it is a weakness rather than a sin.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a sin, my friend.
Love and joyful heart will be the best medicine for your depress.
Have faith and hope in the Lord. PRAY FOR YOU :pray:

Of course, it is a sin.
Sin means you are away from God. If you are with God, there is no pain and sadness.
So it is a sin.

No more than it was a sin that a man was born blind in the Bible.

John 9:1-3 New King James Version (NKJV)

9 Now as Jesus passed by, He saw a man who was blind from birth. 2 And His disciples asked Him, saying, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”

3 Jesus answered, “Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but that the works of God should be revealed in him."

See: (236) Justin Peters: The Hurt of Healing - YouTube
This is a Justin Peters talk called “The Hurt of Healing” and he addresses the very thing that has happened to you here on this post. How people are quick to judge and shake fingers in your face. Well, that is not correct behavior biblically or for Christians. Give this a listen, and let your heart be at ease. You do not have control over this and it doesn’t mean you have “sinned” or don’t have enough “faith”.

It is not a sin to be depressed. It is a normal mood. I can’t agree with your friends. I suggest you do both.

My friend, don’t think to much about this. Be easy and go travel. Do something wonderful. God’s creation is awesome. Go out to see it. God will heal you.

I think first you should know what is sin. Sin is against God. If your depression contains something against God, it is sin. If it is just your mood, please take it easy.

Do you know the true meaning of sin?
You should have a Bible study about the content of sin.

If I were you, first I will pray, may God open a way for me. He will prepare a good doctor for me.
God will use doctor to cure me. Not so often, God cures some by performing a miracle.