Is it necessary to do the sign of the cross when praying?

Is it necessary to do the sign of the cross when praying? Why is that other religions do
not? What does doing the sign of the cross mean?

Hi ! @kianna
For me, I don’t think so. Maybe for others doing the sign of the cross is a gesture of faith, but, not everyone is doing it. It depends on the person if he/she wants to do it. As for me, I dont, I dont find it necessary also (no offense). I think it’s a matter of what we believe in. More of what make us feel better. Some do it because they feel like they’ll be more secured when they do it first before praying. We all have different perspective and take about this matter, but, does it really matter when we are all the children of God ?

1 Like

Hi there, @Jedidiah! Yep! I agree with you, I have talked with a couple of people about this and asked them why they do it, for them, they do feel secure when they do. All that matters is that we pray to the Lord God! :blush::blush: Thank you so much, keep safe and God bless you!

I don’t think so. The important that matters the most is have faith on him. You can pray anywhere and anytime. Talk to him when you want. That you said is not matter as long as you love him and you believe on him. Catholics are doing that but must respect their beliefs.

1 Like

Yes, hi @zayn22! I very much respect their religious beliefs and traditions. What I meant was as long as we are all praying to the Lord God and following His word. :blush::blush:

For me you can pray anytime anywhere as long as your heart is on it while you are praying. The sign of the cross while praying is not bad for me as long as you are praying sincere many of people praying because they only want to be notice as a religious person. So for just pray sincerely. God knows our hearts.

1 Like

Hello, dear @kianna
For me it’s an habit, since child I was taught to make the sign before and after ending my prayers, but you know thinking about it, for praying and talking to the Lord is unnecessary. Praying doesn’t need so much protocol, is something we can and should do as much on the day to express our hapinnes and feelings to the Lord. Thinking deeply about it recently, without thinking too much, I started to only doing it to finish my pray, maybe as a goodbye to the Lord. Funny.
Kind regards, Luis Guerrero

1 Like