Is money Evil?

Should one look at money as evil?

1 Timothy 6:10 says that the love of money is the root cause of all evil.

At the same time we need money to live our everyday life. It is an undeniable fact that when Christians go in to the world to work for their living, their motivation to work turns to money.

Is there a way where one can keep themselves clean of money though they work in the secular world.

Most of all, is money totally evil?

You have the answer right there in your question. Maybe you missed it. I did for years, so if you did, do not feel bad!

> “1 Timothy 6:10 says that the love of money is the root cause of all evil.”

It is the love of money that is the root of all evil, not money itself.

A rule of thumb I use that helps me is this: things, objects, food, non-breathing things, they are not sinful nor saved. They are objects.

However, as human beings, in a fallen world, born in sin, and slaves of the devil — we are the ones who behave in evil ways. So when looking to see “where does evil come from” in any scenario, look for the human reaction, feeling, use of whatever is involved in evil. Stop blaming evil on objects and start acknowledging the evil that we, in our fallen state, serve.

Personally, I dislike even having to handle money but that is something that is about me, not about God. What I do know is that the first thing I would want to save in an emergency would be my son and grandson, and perhaps a Bible. Other than that, things are only things. The question to ask when having to deal with things that can become idols, i.e. things we worship, we need to be sure it does not lead US into sin, or our brothers and sisters in Christ into sin.

The love of money is what causes some people to step on the necks of others in order to get more and more of it. Notice the greedy. See that they are never satisfied? A million dollars is not enough, a billion is not enough, nothing will be enough. Because greed is a sin and the wages of sin is death.