Is tithing voluntary or obligatory?

The church where I grew in encourages us to give heartily without feeling obligated. There was once an instance I was invited to a certain church wherein tithes is not voluntarily asked but obligatory given. They have this certain envelopes with names on it and if you cannot pay it, it became monthly dues…

There is nothing wrong about giving your tithes voluntary, I am just upset when someone will collect it from me with a stated specific amount. It is still nice to give heartily and not forcibly.

should do as christian.

even our life we should offer to GOD.

The Biblical tithe was established by the high priest Melchizedek, priest of God Most High, in Genesis 14:20; Abram gave him a tenth of all of his spoils of victory because he acknowledged that God delivered him in victory. (Heb. 7:1-2) He was showing his subordination to God’s rule by making a token payment (10%) to God’s high priest; he gave God his share of the victory spoils.
Melchizedek served Abram a meal of bread and wine. This certainly bears a marked resemblance to the Lord’s Supper set forth by Jesus. Afterward, Melchizedek blessed Abram, and Abram willingly and voluntarily handed over his tithe.

The love of Christ to compels us to do things for his glory.

We give voluntarily with love.

I remember 1 Corinthians 13:3
If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

We follow The way of LOVE.

A heart that loves is always willing to give. Tithing is not the issue. It is the certainty that what we give comes back to us. A heart that loves, gives and expects nothing in return.

If you feel you are in the right church/ministry, do all things you can to support it. I understand that there were many ministers who have taken advantage of this area but we should be generous.

If it is hard for you to trust your church, stop going there. On the other hand, you can direct your giving to charities or movements you believe in.

Hi there @Homer_Habacon! I stopped attending to that kind of church it is because I really feel obligated to give in a certain amount…truly indeed it is best to give heartily.

Let’s take a look at the guidelines of giving set by Paul to Christians.

1Co 16:2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

1. It should be done first day of the week.

2. It should be according to the blessings that God gave us.

2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. KJV

2Co 9:7 Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. ESV

1. It should be according to what we decided. However, we have to keep in mind the principle that it should be how God has prospered us.

2. We shouldn’t give against our will.

3. We shouldn’t give because we are being forced.

I believe God is very clear on the guidelines when it comes to giving.

Hi there @yevillanueva! Yes it was all clearly stated in the Bible and the guidelines are very understandable. It was against my will because the Church that I attended to force me to tithe. I was just sitting around the corner and then someone give me an envelope of my monthly contributions. There is this someone also who solicited for a certain amount for church construction with a deadline on it. So I decided to give what they asked, and never went back to that church again. I feel so forced!

The only important is to give willingly. “When one pays his tithing without enjoyment he is robbed of a part of the blessing. He must learn to give cheerfully, willingly and joyfully, and his gift will be blessed” (Stephen L Richards, The Law of Tithing [pamphlet, 1983], 8).

The Apostle Paul taught that how we give is as important as what we give. He said, “Let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7).