Is watching horror movies bad for Christians?

@cocoyoongie i am a christian to i and sometimes i am watching a horror movies. In my experience as a christian our way is not to take it so seriously because it can affect your faith. Some of the horror movie that you need to disregard is paranormal activities. It is bad for a christian to watch this because it may affect your Faith i think. Some of the demons are powerful so the other people watching may think that they can call the demons so they can have the power or anything.

This is my own opinion only but please be guided on the thing that you are watching not only in a horror movies.

I can answer this with one verse:
Philippians 4:8, NIV: “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable–if anything is excellent or praiseworthy–think about such things.”

Nothing about horror movies fits anything in that verse.

Hello, dear @cocoyoongie
One of the many gifts that the Lord gave us is the ability to choose… At the end of the day, it’s just entertainment! It’s not real, so you can see it if you like it.
What you must consider is what your heart tells you, this will be God talking to you, there are movies of any kind (not only horror) that we may ask it, but we already know it’s wrong to see them or even promote them. So follow your heart, talk to God and enjoy yourselves, knowing that there are some movids that you should pass on.
Kind regards, Luis Guerrero

Hi @cocoyoongie. I was thinking this also when I watched one of my favorite horror movie. I asked myself do this movie can help me to have relationship with God also? I’m afraid when I am watching a horror movie until then, I realized that it can provide other side of my faith to God. I think horror movies created with a purpose. For me, it is not bad but my opinion to those who gonna watch horror movies ready yourself, your heart, your mind and it isn’t good to younger ones who are afraid to ghost. Open-wide your understanding while watching horror movies.

@cocoyoongie For me, it’s a yes. It’s bad for Christians to watch horror movies. “What we feed our minds affects our whole being.” Personally, based on my own experience I think that horror movies are portals of Satan to instill fear in people. It gives out too much negativity. In Philippians 4:8 it says that, “Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable — if anything is excellent or praiseworthy — think about such things and the God of peace will be with you”

@cocoyoongie i easily get scared, When I was in 6th grade, we watched Sadako, Sadako gets me traumatized up until today. I’ve watched several horror movies, because of peers, but if I will watch by myself no, I can’t.
my mom, told me, If you are watching horror films, you are just entertaining bad spirits. i dont know…but i just dont like the horror genre cant even pee in the middle of the night hehe

For me it is not a matter of good or bad for us Christians, but rather it is a matter of our maturity as Christians. Spiritual maturity and stability plays a very big factor in the decisions we make. Because this evil spirits and demons are biblical, it actually exist, and we Christians are in constant battle with them. But to encounter them head on requires a much deeper relationship and faith in God. Just like what the apostles have back in the day, now if you are assured and you are confident enough in Christ that you have it in you then I think watching horror movies is alright. But it is not for everyone, because I greatly believe that this are not just plain movies it can be use as a weapon by satan. Let us be careful and to always have an open communication with God and He will communicate back.

2 Likes

I could not agree more! Thank you for this @IamRichardJohn. I really learned a lot from you guys here. Things like these are inevitable, it really depends on us on how we handle it and see it.

@IamRichardJohn we have different preferences in film genre selection, for me as long as you are happy, go on, regardless the genre of the movie . however, as what you believe in , Horror movies

its just like, you are “entertaining or playing with them perhaps” so indeed let us be careful and strengthen our faith in Christ Jesus

If you are been tormented by evil spirits/ demons , I recommend Daily Mercy because it has set me free. Its an extensive online deliverance platform that you can do from anywhere you have internet . www.ricardowatson.com and look for Daily Mercy , schedule a call