It Hurts So Much

It Hurts So Much
JUNE 1, 2020 BY JACQUI KING

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (ESV)

Today, I prayed, I cried, and I talked to God. I asked, “Lord what do you want me to do with what I am seeing?”

In the midst of it all, I called out the names of the persons killed over the last 21 days by hate and brutality.

Today, I prayed, I cried, and I talked with the Lord. I asked, “Jesus what do you want me to do with what I am feeling?”

In the midst of it all, I prayed with many people and invited them to pray as we called out their names.

Today, I prayed, I cried, talked with the Holy Spirit, and walked around the block to catch my breath. As I thanked God for the breath of life, the tears rolled down my face and my heart pounded.

I asked, “Holy Spirit what do you want me to do with what I am hearing, how I am feeling, and what I am really seeing?”

In the midst of my prayers and tears, I could hear my grandmother’s voice saying, “Baby you are seeing, feeling, and hearing the pains of brokenness all around you. Hmmmm….Yes, it hurts so much.”

I rise from my tears to say that we are called to continue being God’s church right where we are. Act Justly. Love Mercifully. Walk Humbly.

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.

And what does the Lord require of you?

To act justly and to love mercy

and to walk humbly with your God.

Micah 6:8 (NIV)

Today, I invite you to two practices for your prayers and your tears, your mercy and your justice.

1. Develop and pray your breath prayer.

2. Learn about and sing hymns.