"Nevertheless" : A Devotional

Nevertheless, that time of darkness and despair will not go on forever.
ISAIAH 9:1 NLT
I once read a book that was based entirely on the word nevertheless. It taught the reader to take every problem in his or her life, look at it honestly, and then say, “nevertheless,” and find some offsetting positive thing in the individual’s life that brought the problem into perspective.
It might sound something like this: “I have a lot of hard work to get accomplished in the next two weeks; nevertheless, after that my schedule is much more open, and I will be able to have some fun and get some extra rest.” All mothers get weary from time to time and might say, “My kids are driving me crazy; nevertheless, I’m so blessed to have these children in my life, and I know there are families who can’t have children at all.” A father who has to work two jobs to make ends meet might say, “I am so tired of working all the time; nevertheless, I am thankful that God has provided me with jobs.”
No matter who we are or what our challenge in life is, there is always a “nevertheless”—some positive thing we can look at or talk about that brings the rest of life into perspective. Why don’t you try it? The next time you are tempted to complain about your life in any way, go ahead and state your complaint, and then say, “nevertheless,” and find something positive about your life to offset the complaint.
Trust in Him No matter what you are going through in life, you can trust God to be with you. Think about your current situation and find your “nevertheless.” Say it out loud to encourage yourself by finding the positive in every situation.

Trusting God Day by Day: 365 Daily Devotions by Joyce Meyer

I started reading Joyce Meyer’s Trusting God Day by Day: 365 Daily Devotions a few days ago so this was my devotional last night (but according to the book this is based somewhat on January lol even though it is May I still started on the first page i don’t know why but I prefer it that way)

I love this because the past few months, we have been battling a pandemic (up until now), and reading this, it sets as a reminder that yes okay, we are struggling, mourning, and confused but this won’t stay forever. I want to put this mentality into my system that yes I am struggling right now, but there is always a 'nevertheless", some positive thing we can look at or talk about that brings the rest of life into perspective. We have the Lord God beside us, so whatever that is making you guys struggle, instill in your minds a “nevertheless mentality”. This is a game changer!

Hi @kianna After reading this, something came across my mind. This hit me right in the feels.
Taking time to appreciate all these things around us. These things I called blessings. Especially during this pandemic.
Greatful to have a roof to be quarantined under.
To have a floor space to workout on.
To have quiet or silence to think through.
To have groceries to cook.
To have windows to look through.
To have clothes to wear on and sheets to wash.
To have dishes and table to clean.
To have friends we can talk to despite the distance
To know that our family is safe and sound
To have God who is always guiding us

And when I think that there is something missing, I must remember that I’m only missing the right perspective. Its all about the mind. How we look at things.We just have to open our hearts and mind to appreciate everything God has given us.

1 Like

Hello there, @Jean! That is so true! God has given us blessings more than what we imagine, sometimes we just fail to see it because we are too focused on the negative things. There are a lot of things to be grateful for. Our struggles will soon end and something great is going to happen.

Yes. We are often distracted by many things that we might have overlooked these blessings. Our struggles are blessings too. I always believe that every pain and struggles we experience, will be useful to us someday.
And our minds seems pre-occupied by overwhelming things happening right now. Global pandemic, our economy status, our health and safety concerns, family and loved ones, financial crisis and personal issues. These things affects us deep down. But they are also beyond our control. Let us divert our minds and focus on positive things. Let’s be grateful and pray for one another.

1 Like

Yes the struggles will not go on forever. Everything has an end. Regardless what it is just keep praying and ask God for help.

1 Like

Hello there, @Jean! Yes, getting upset too much about something we cannot control is useless. We need God in our lives. Struggles in life will forever be there, but it is how we handle these struggles that matters the most.

Yes, @zayn22! If you’re struggling for too much now, you have to ask God for assistance, or sometimes you just need to see the situation from a different perspective. God gives us countless of clues every day in our daily lives, we just have to be attentive.