Open Arms: A Devotional

Open Arms

In my distress, I called to the Lord . . . . My cry came to his ears.
2 Samuel 22:7

Today’s Scripture & Insight:
2 Samuel 22:1–7, 17–20

Saydee and his family have an “open arms and open home” philosophy. People are always welcome in their home, “especially those who are in distress,” he says. That’s the kind of household he had growing up in Liberia with his nine siblings. Their parents always welcomed others into their family. He says, “We grew up as a community. We loved one another. Everybody was responsible for everybody. My dad taught us to love each other, care for each other, protect each other.”

When King David was in need, he found this type of loving care in God. Second Samuel 22 (and Psalm 18) records his song of praise to God for the ways He had been a refuge for him throughout his life. He recalled, “In my distress, I called to the Lord; I called out to my God. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came to his ears” (2 Samuel 22:7). God had delivered him from his enemies, including King Saul, many times. He praised God for being his fortress and deliverer in whom he took refuge (vv. 2–3).

While our distresses may be small in comparison to David’s, God welcomes us to run to Him to find the shelter we long for. His arms are always open. Therefore we “sing the praises of [His] name” (v. 50).

I want to share with you guys my devotional for tonight, it is from the ODB or Our Daily Bread.

This is such a wonderful devotion. I can relate in this since I usually never have someone to run to whenever I have problems, like literally no one. I am not much of a talkative person especially when it comes to my emotions. So whenever I have problems and I cannot take it in anymore, I always talk to the Lord. I cry my eyes out and tell Him everything that is on my mind. I was not like this before. Years ago, I would cry by myself inside my room and hurt myself, my bond with the Lord is not as strong so I am so weak.
The Lord is the best thing that has happened to me all my life, and making our bond stronger as ever has been the best decision I have ever made. :yellow_heart: :yellow_heart:

@kianna: Hi dear! I remember my friend who used to do the same thing as you. She hid in her room, put her speakers volume up in rock music and painfully hurt her legs with blade… I witnessed everything she have done everytime she’s upset and depressed. But I can’t do anything about it because the more I pushed myself of comforting her, the more she’ll do it. She came from a prominent family in Davao City, a rich kid too…I actually envy her because she can buy everything and anything she wants, eat in luxury restaurants, and a lot more. But one thing is lacking unto her; her relationship with God. One time I brought her in St.Jude church, I told her everytime I am upset I light a candle and pray here…she just smirked at me…Fast forward…I didn’t expect to see her one time in the church lighting a candle, I just hide somewhere and happily smiling because God hears my prayer for her: that one day she’ll gonna listen to me and light a candle and pray in the church…:blush:

1 Like

It is very depressing being alone inside your room feeling a lot of pain in your heart. :frowning: Thanks to the Lord I am over that stage now. Hmm, no matter how much money you have, it still feels very lonely and depressing when you do not have a bond with the Lord. You can have all the riches in the world, but without God, it still is nothing and we would still feel happy. I am happy for her though that slowly she is starting to realize and see how important it is to be with the Lord most especially when we feel very lost. She won’t regret making that decision in her life for sure! :blush: :blush:

1 Like

@kianna: True! I’ve been once there too…it happened when I was engaged twice to the wrong person lol…It was so hard crying alone, so hard when you don’t have friends to talk to coz they are all busy, and a family who is tired listening to you… It’s really tough and hard being depressed. So what lifts me up? I went to beach alone, cry out loud, and pray. I cried out all my pains and days passed God hears me and lifted me up. I never stopped praying. I went to St.Jude always and attend a 12-1pm mass until such time I can say that I am healed. It was this verse that I ponde…Psalm 34:17 “When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles”…:wink:

1 Like

That’s very wonderful, the feels of nature really does help. I used to go on a mini hike somewhere in our locality just to relax my mind. It is quite hard now especially with the pandemic.

Thank you so much for this beautiful verse! :blush:

1 Like

Lord is our saviour, friend and our father. We can lean on him cry on his shoulder when we are doomed or sad. It’s beautiful to hear that someone is helping us though he’s not literally here but still we know he’s always there for us and never leave us.

1 Like

What a beautiful devotion. This is the ideal community that our hearts long for, where every one is not judged instead, they are loved and taken care of. However, it is kind of impossible to have this kind of community in our world today because of indifference. But praise God because we can always run to him 24/7 whenever we need a soul boost.

@kianna As human, whenever we are hurt and struggling, we are allowed to feel pain and cry. When things are getting worse, we can always choose our breaking point. But always remember there is someone who always got our backs. Our Almighty God. Having someone who always listen to you and love you without judgement, is one of the greatest feeling ever. Knowing that you are not alone. That God is with you every time you fall and every time you rise up again. Keep fighting. One day, your future self will thank you for every single time you pulled yourself up off that floor or bed and choose not to give up. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Truly! We are beyond blessed for having Him, the Lord God, in our lives!
Psalm 46:1-2, 7 “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea; The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.”

Thank you for that wonderful word God is so Good. Its trully God welcome us to be His shelter in times we experience so down when we think no ones care for us He still there to cheer up and God is there to care for us when the world leave us and no one is there for us God will stay and He will never leave His children who trust in Him.

1 Like

Truly! Almost everyone left me whenever things go wrong. I felt so bad and lonely. But the Lord never left me. He was always there by my side when I cried at night. Opening up to Him was the best thing I have ever done.

Yes! He will never leave us! His love for us is unlike any other.
Jeremiah 31:3 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
3 The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.