Remembering: A Devotional

Remembering

Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
- John 15:13

Today’s Scripture & Insight:

John 15:9–17
On Memorial Day, I think of many military veterans but especially my dad and uncles, who served in the military during World War II. They made it home, but in that war hundreds of thousands of families tragically lost loved ones in service to their country. Yet, when asked, my dad and most soldiers from that era would say they were willing to give up their lives to protect their loved ones and stand for what they believed to be right.

When someone dies in defense of their country, John 15:13—“Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends”—is often recited during the funeral service to honor their sacrifice. But what were the circumstances behind this verse?

When Jesus spoke those words to His disciples during the Last Supper, He was about to die. And, in fact, one of His small group of disciples, Judas, had already left to betray Him (13:18–30). Yet Christ knew all of this and still chose to sacrifice His life for His friends and enemies.

Jesus was willing and ready to die for those who’d one day believe in Him, even for those who were still His enemies (Romans 5:10). In return, He asks His disciples (then and now) to “love each other” as He has loved them (John 15:12). His great love compels us to sacrificially love others—friend and foe alike.

By: Alyson Kieda from Our Daily Bread

This is a simple reminder(?), I guess, of how grateful and blessed we are of our Lord God. Despite our sins, despite our dark ways and sometimes thoughts, He still sees us as His children. He sacrificed His own son, Jesus Christ, for us. Just like the soldiers who are more than willing to risk their lives for their people, Jesus Christ died on the cross for us, for our sins. This is something to reflect about as we live our day as children of God.

I remember when I first attended my company’s first Friday mass of the month.
The Priest says, there are three reasons why we should trust God.

1. God is Faithful - 2 Timothy 2;13 (GNT)
If we are not faithful, he remains faithful, because he cannot be false to himself

2. God is Good - 2 Deuteronomy 31:6 (ESV)
Be strong and courageous. Do not fear of be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.

3. God is Powerful - Job 36:22-24 (CEV)
God’s power is limited

It is true that God love us despite our sins and even how many times we walk away from him, He will never leave us. He sacrificed his own son and died on the cross for us. And we humans, often neglect and forget that.

1 Like

Wow, thank you for this, @Jean! As we go through bad things, these three verses will definitely lift our spirits up. No matter what happens, it is amazing how He never left us. God is indeed faithful, good, and powerful!

Just like how God suffers and sacrifice his son for us. Friends are always there for each other that relationship symbolizes love.

1 Like

Every single one of us ave our bad sides, God saw this in us but still continues to love us everyday. Those people who have friends like this are beyond blessed! It feels very good having someone stay by your side through thick and thin.