Starting today, read Bible for yourself

This is something that has been so heavy on my heart lately. We must make sure everything we accept as truth is actually truth and the only way to do that is to make sure it lines up with the Word of God.

Sometimes we get so caught up in the people we follow online, pastors, and teachers that we automatically take what they are saying as Biblical truth without even getting in the Word ourselves. We fall into the pattern of: this person says this so I have to do this, that person said that so I have to do that…but what does God say? What does His Word say?

There is only one place you can go for the absolute unfailing truth and that is His Word. Please hear my heart. I am not saying there is anything wrong with listening to preaching or teaching. What I am saying is we must know the Word of God for ourselves so we can make sure the things we are being taught line up with the Word. Do not just take the persons word for it. Make sure it lines up.

The only way we can do this is if we know the Word ourselves. This is the time to dig in deep. If you only follow a preacher or teacher for your Biblical understanding, and you do not have personal time in the Word, you run a high risk for being deceived without even knowing it. If you were asked why you believe the way you do would you have a scriptural reason or would it be because someone told you to believe that way? There are ministers and teachers who are purposely deceiving for their own personal gain and others who are following what they have been taught.

Either way the only safe guard against deception is knowing the Word for ourselves so we can recognize when something is not being presented accurately. You may have awesome teachers and preachers in your life but it is still your responsibility to get into the Word for yourself. How will you know if they are truly spot on unless you line up their teaching to the Word of God?

I want to encourage you to start a reading plan today. If you do not know where to start turn to the New Testament and start in the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John). Learn about Jesus and what all He taught while He was on earth. Learn about His character, His love for people, and kingdom principles.

We are living in times of massive deception both in the church and the world. Our greatest safeguard is the truth of Gods Word. It is unchanging and it is unfailing. Everything you have need of can be found in His Word. No matter what you are facing allow His Word to speak life into your situation.

Nichole Hensley Henson