Was the whole world destroyed during the flood of Noah?

I have trouble understanding the story of Noah. Was the whole world destroyed during the flood of Noah? In this case the whole world was supposed to have rain at the same time for 40 days? I don’t seem to understand. Please post your thoughts on this. Thank you.

I really don’t know how to explain this better, but I do know a Chinese history that is somewhat similar to Noah’s flood.I know the story about flood control in ancient China.I don’t know if there’s a connection with the flood of Noah.

i do not know either, May be God does not flood all.

The Lord saw that the people on the earth were very evil. He saw that they thought only about evil things all the time. The Lord was sorry that he had made people on the earth. It made him very sad in his heart. So the Lord said, “I will destroy all the people I created on the earth. I will destroy every person and every animal and everything that crawls on the earth. And I will destroy all the birds in the air, because I am sorry that I have made them.”
Genesis 6:5‭-‬7 ERV

2 Likes

The only way I could understand it was to read the whole story. People seem to think they can’t read the Bible and understand it. Unfortunately, many of us are told that before we even try. So, I encourage you to get the story from the source: The Bible.

Here’s where you can find it: Genesis chapters 6 through 8. (only 2 chapters!)
It explains all the questions you could come up with about whether it was world wide or not because it describes MUCH more than a mere 40 days of solid rain.

Genesis 6-8 ← click on this if you don’t have a Bible handy.

Something occurred to me. I should have ask you this before, @Jude. When you said “I have trouble understanding” did you mean “I have trouble believing”?

I ask, because if it’s believing it, the answer would be totally different.

There is. Every continent has “Noah’s flood” kinds of stories.

See: Noah’s Ark and the Flood with Tim Chaffey

If we assume “God does not flood all” we make Him out to be a liar.

> Genesis 7:4 4 Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living creature I have made.

Either we believe the Bible which is the Word of God, or we do not.

Thank you for your sharing!

Hello @Sunami_Carpenter, thank you for your reply. Yes I do believe in the scriptures and the story of Noah. But I am struggling in this part - there are natural laws that cannot be broken by time, space and matter. In light of this there cannot be rain in the whole world at the same time. So I was just wondering if the whole world was destroyed by water. That was my question.

So by this do you suppose that the whole world was not destroyed?

Hi @Jude Thanks for your answer too! Nice to follow up on things.
You say you believe in the scriptures and the story of Noah.
So why are you struggling with mankind’s imperfect, constantly changing “theories” about the beginning?

Just to be clear, of course I believe the whole world was destroyed by water. Why? Because God said it was in His Holy Word and He always fulfills what He promises. Always.

Whether or not we can comprehend what God says should never limit GOD ALMIGHTY. Most especially not with man’s arguments. If God really is God, then wouldn’t the following be true:

Isaiah 55:8-9 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
8 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” declares the Lord.
9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways
And My thoughts than your thoughts.

One of the things that helped me get “over” the struggle you are saying you’re having was reading the book of Job. There are 3 guys who are supposedly Job’s friends, though after a while it becomes apparent they are more interested in being “right” and being prideful and making Job out to be unrighteous (and they are wrong in that, see Chapters 38-42 which are very eye opening as to where man’s ideas stand compared to GOD’s wisdom) than they are interested in comforting their stricken friend. But these men are not much different than we are today, arguing among ourselves trying to “figure things out”.

Note: Neither Job nor his “friends” had any knowledge of what happened in the opening chapters of Job, so they started with a false premise. So do our scientists, even if they are believers themselves, as the “science field” has become shot through with pushing the notion of atheism via the theory of evolution. A theory is a guess that is not yet proven. A man made guess in this case.

God’s blessings on you @Jude while you read the book of Job.

Dear @Sunami_Carpenter, thank you very much for your patient replies for my question.

This is true. God definitely is true and always keeps his promises.

Do you mean to say that humans should not have analytical questions about the bible?