What are the distractions that you face during prayer?

Prayer is spiritual breath. Without praying one is unable to communicate with God. Listening to the word of God is God talking to us. While God can talk to people through prayer, prayer is primarily man trying to communicate to God. But in such a time as this where one can be lead into so much distractions, what are some of the distractions that you face during prayer? We can discuss here how we can overcome the distractions in prayer.

I read an article recently about 3 main distractions during prayer.

When I feel guilty, it’s usually because I have sinned. Big or small, I’ll feel it. And the best thing I can do is to immediately confess my sin to God and ask His help to overcome it. Sincerely.

That’s over all. For all sins. Be they thought, word or deed.

We are always responsible for our own actions. But I would also say we are not capable - alone - of overcoming our sin, including our distractions from prayer. We need the help of our Savior, Jesus Christ and we should turn to Him asking for that help. He already overcame the world. He will help us to overcome it too. (See John 16:33)

Personally, I struggle on some days for a “formal” prayer time and on other days have no problem. I say “formal” meaning the space of time I set aside daily JUST for prayer and nothing else. This is when I pray for friends, family and acquaintances, for enemies and for the persecuted church. That’s my first list: others. My second list in this “formal” prayer time consists of my own requests: usually God’s help to overcome something, or request for wisdom or to learn more of His Word or to be tested and refined by Him. Those kinds of things.

But when it comes to the “constant prayer” that is as easy as breathing. “Oh dear Lord please help those people” I exclaim as I see a news story of tragedy. Or “Please, God, help me to be obedient to you as I have this get together with a friend” or “Lord, please draw this person to You. You had mercy on me, a horrible sinner of decades, I know You have plenty of Mercy. So if it be Your Will, please draw them.” Or simple what I call “arrow prayers” such as “Ugh. God? Please please help me to stop grumbling!” when I get frustrated at that particular recurring sin of mine.

So I don’t know if it’s maybe partly that I am somewhat allergic to repetitive type prayer found more often in formal prayer, or if it’s the Holy Spirit in me who detests repetitive prayer as much as Jesus did (see Matthew 6:7 “And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words.")

To combat this, I mix up or re-write my “formal” prayers a little every day to keep it fresh and real.

Hope there is something helpful in there.

2 Likes

This past few days, i am having trouble praying at night. I fall asleep and cant finish my prayer.
I do pray in routine; in the morning and at night, But this past few days straight i cant finish my prayer.

Prayer is important for me as to breathing. I ask for God’s strength to help me not fall asleep while praying. Maybe sometimes i am pre-occupied with a lot things in my mind.

I pray for every aspect in my life and i also pray for the people around me. I pray in general and in specific. That’s how detailed my prayer is. I feel incomplete if i didnt get to pray first thing in the morning and at night.