What do you think about suspending religious activities (as advised by most governments) due to the COVID-19 outbreak?

In our country, and I believe most countries, the government advised social distancing and suspension of mass gatherings such as parties, events, and even religious activities. What are your thoughts about it as Christians?

Hello! There is plenty of discussions about this going on at the moment, and it is indeed a pressing issue. Many Christians site that according to Hebrews, we should not forsake coming together as a church for worship and Bible study. Avoiding social gatherings at this moment is not forsaking the church, but being wise in how we conduct ourselves and take care of our well-being. The Lord resides in our physical bodies, which is why our bodies are the Temple of the Living God, and so we should take care of our physical well-being as much as our spiritual health. I think emergency situations call for extraordinary measures, and we are seeing that in our world today with COVID-19.

My thoughts about this, is that we submit to the authorities as they are being appointed by God there. As the government main role is for peace and order of the people it governs.

Romans 13:1 that talks about Submission to the Authorities.

It says there in Rom. 13:1
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.

I am in favor of this because it is for the good of everybody. We can stop spreading the virus if we refrain to do the usual things we do, it is called sacrifice. After all, this too shall pass. Let us just do our part as citizens of our country. May God spare us all in this virus.

Hello, dear MakkaPakka
I think it’s wise to acknowledge that this is a disease, and very contagious for the matter, in hopes of protecting our lives and those who we love is not bad to temporally suspend the group activities.
Let’s remember that God is everywhere. You, me or a family can have an encounter with our father anytime at any place. He acknowledges that with love, and will received that encounter with open arms.
Let’s respect the opinion of doctor and professionals, and wait a little while until the situation is resolved.
Kind regards, Luis Guerrero

Hi sir @Luis_Ruiz… yes sir, I totally do agree to suspend any group activities as of this moment in order to protect each and everyone in the community. As I stated on my first comment, I am in favor of suspending any activities. Let us all follow instructions that are given unto us and wait for more or further announcements instead. :blush:

1 Like

I agree with them suspending religious activities because this is for our safety. This virus is contagious. Our healthcare professionals are trying their very best to fight this, as human beings we can help them by staying in our homes and try to distance ourselves from others so as not to spread the virus.

We should submit. The position is simple and goes like this, just be submissive to the government (Romans 13:1-7 and 1 Peter 2:13-17). However, when disobedience to government is approved of God it is clearly in view of a higher moral law, there are biblical instances to illustrate:

1. Worship of God is higher than any command of the government and/or if it decrees participation in idolatry, check out the third chapter of Daniel.
  2. No government law against private prayer should be obeyed, see Daniel 6.
  3. If the government commands a believer not to preach the Gospel see Acts 4 & 5.
  4. Even the murder of innocent victims, look at Exodus 1. it should not be obeyed.
    In each of these cases the moral obligation to pray, worship God, and so forth is a higher duty than one to obey the government.
    Now, I hope you did not take this as preaching, for me, it is just Christian common sense

We are the church and God is with us no matter where we are. BridgePointe Christian Church nurtured us in God’s plans for our lives online.