What do you think about the separation of the Church and state?

This philosophical concept sparks a lot of debate among the people under a constitution. It says that there should be a political distance between the government/state and Church. But as I can see other widely known Churches/Religions have an effect in the way a state makes and follow their laws nowadays. What do you think about this concept?

The principle that government must maintain an attitude of neutrality toward religion. Many view separation of church and state as required by the First Amendment . The First Amendment not only allows citizens the freedom to practice any religion of their choice, but also prevents the government from officially recognizing or favoring any religion.

1 Like

Hello, dear @iona090,
It’s always the best to keep separated some things, the governments have power and bad people with power always ends up in tragedies (I live in Venezuela so I know my stuff). And historically there have always been people who use the religion as a shield for what they do (good or bad), its better to eliminate that variable. And remember government have to live for their people, any religion they practice.
Even with that, I think that the majority of government in the world are Cristian people.
Kind regards, Luis Guerrero

1 Like

The principle of separation of church and state has biblical basis. In Matthew 22:21, when Jesus Christ was asked whether it is lawful to pay taxes, Jesus Christ replied:
Mat 22:21 They said, “Caesar’s.” Then he said to them, “Therefore render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.”
Although the immediate context of this verse is about taxes, we can see the principle that spiritual matters and political matters are separate.

We can see the principle again when Christ answered Pilate’s question if Jesus is the king of the Jews. On which Jesus replied:
John 18:36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.”

This shows that God’s Kingdom, which is the church is not political in nature.

1 Like