What does the Bible say about adultery?

If you are living with a married man or woman, but all people involved are civil and amicably separated, are you still committing adultery?

According to Jesus Christ Himself, He described adultery as Luke 16:18 Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

So if you are living with a man who divorced his wife, you are also committing adultery. There is an exemption though.

In Matthew 19:9, Christ said. Mat 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

If the reason for divorce is due to sexual immorality, the innocent party can divorce the guilty party. And the innocent party is free to get married again.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

I just wanted to drag this topic up as lately I have been watching too much of that Kdrama titled “The World of the Married”. Nowadays, committing adultery is as easy as changing clothes daily. It seems like it is the “new trend” as of these days, and even witnessed some doing it. I mean, it is not only present in Kdrama but it is happening in real life now… The Bible says in Exodus 20:14 You shall not commit adultery", then how come a lot of people committing it?

Hello, dear @mariel
Well God can’t be more serious and clear about it, in Hebrews 13:4 “Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.”
You can have your own interpretation but basically, marriage is an unity of love of two people in the name of God, you can’t go breaking that confidence… Those people who decide to get married must fight for their own relationship. The third party in a separated may not be signing by a first instance, but he or she is, at the end of the day they are helping in not honoring a marriage from before. Remember that ignorance is not the same to innocence.
Kind regards, Luis Guerrero.

Therefore, for Christians, adultery is the sin of a married man having sexual relations with anyone other than his wife or a married woman having sexual relations with anyone other than her husband.

Adultery is one of the most frequently and severely condemned sins in the Bible. Adultery is mentioned 52 times, including in the Ten Commandments, all four Gospels, and ten other books of the Bible. Only the sins of idolatry, self-righteousness and murder are mentioned more often.

You shall not commit adultery. (NIV, Exodus 20:14)

But a man who commits adultery lacks judgment; whoever does so destroys himself. (NIV, Proverbs 6:32)

In practice, an “office romance” or other extramarital affair causes great emotional pain to the spouse whether sexual intercourse is involved or not. Also, sexual attraction clouds judgment and often leads to actual sexual relations, even when that was not the original intent.

Exceptions?
People sometimes wonder if an exception is allowed in case the spouse cannot or will not have sex, or if the couple is separated, or for other reasons. However, the Bible does not mention any possible exceptions. Therefore, as long as a couple is legally married, sex with anyone else is considered adultery.

Nonsexual Relationships
People also wonder if romantic relationships outside of marriage are permissible as long as there is no actual sexual intercourse. However, in Bible teachings, marriage is an exclusive romantic and sexual relationship between husband and wife. Jesus said:

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. (NIV, Matthew 5:27-28)

Hello dear Hope it helps you. 1 corinthians 6:9-10
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

I agree with you a 100%, we have a gracious God but when it comes to His laws and teachings He is very strict. These are words from God for us to use as standards and guides on how to live our life. Now in our present times we are presented by a lot of temptations may it be on television or in the internet. We can notice that a lot of the story plots shown on television, movies and the internet bend morals just to make the wrong look like its right. That’s why we should be careful and be mindful and make God the controller of our life.