What is the meaning of Lent? How can a christian spend this period of time meaningfully?

My christian friend told me it entered Lent this Wednesday and she suggested me to make a devotional plan. She said my faith might grow faster if I live a devout spiritual life during this period. Is it true ?

Lent is a period of fasting, moderation, and self-denial traditionally observed by Catholics and some Protestant denominations. It begins with Ash Wednesday and ends with Easter Sunday. The length of the Lenten fast was established in the 4th century as 46 days (40 days, not counting Sundays). During Lent, participants eat sparingly or give up a particular food or habit. It’s not uncommon for people to give up smoking during Lent, or to swear off watching television or eating candy or telling lies. It’s six weeks of self-discipline.

https://www.gotquestions.org/what-is-Lent.html

According to the Catholic Encyclopedia, “the real aim of Lent is, above all else, to prepare men for the celebration of the death and Resurrection of Christ…the better the preparation the more effective the celebration will be. One can effectively relive the mystery only with purified mind and heart. The purpose of Lent is to provide that purification by weaning men from sin and selfishness through self-denial and prayer, by creating in them the desire to do God’s will and to make His kingdom come by making it come first of all in their hearts.”

1 Like

Pray, fast, read bible…

1 Like

Lent is a time to open the doors of our hearts a little wider and understand our Lord a little deeper, so that when Good Friday and eventually Easter comes, it is not just another day at church but an opportunity to receive the overflowing of graces God has to offer.

Thanks for your explanation. It is very detail. During the period of Lent, christians need to meditate more about the meaning of cross and know deeper of God’s love and salvation.

Lent is 40-day period before Easter. What your friend suggested is true and would be good to practice it.

Yes, it is true. Lent is a period before the Easter when we meditate the meaning of cross and resurrection of Jesus. During this period, if we can study the book of John, especially chapter 13-21, that would be great.

Lent is 40-day period before Easter. we always meditate Jesus Christ suffering before cross. i think you also can have a try.