What is the Old Testament and New Testament?

What are the Old Testament and New Testament? What is testament… who can give me a clear answer?

The Old Testament comprises 39 books. Christians traditionally divide the Old testament into four section: (1) the first books or Pentateuch(Torah) telling God’s creation, human’s falling, God’s election to the Israelites. (2) the history books telling the history of the Israelites, from their conquest of Canaan to their defeat and exile in Babylon; (3)the poetic and wisdom books dealing, in various forms, with questions of good and evil in the world; (4)the books of the biblical prophets, warning of the consequences of turning away from God.

The New Testament comprises 27 books. It has four parts. (1)the Gosples telling Jesus life from his birth and ascension. (2)acts of the apostles telling the development of Jew’s Church with apostle Peter as the representative and of the gentile’s Church with apostle Paul as the representative. (3)Epistles including Pauline letters to Churches and to persons and Hebrews and general epistles. (4)Book of Revelation.

The Old Testament and the New Testament all are related to God’s salvation.

Jeremiah 31

31“The days are coming,” declares the Lord,
“when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel
and with the people of Judah.
32 It will not be like the covenant
I made with their ancestors
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they broke my covenant,
though I was a husband to[d] them,”
declares the Lord.
33 “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
after that time,” declares the Lord.
“I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.

In brief, the old testament is the testament based on the laws God gave Moses, which is to prepare the coming of Jesus Christ. If you obey the laws well, you will get blessing, otherwise you will receive curse. The new testament is the testament based on the grace Jesus brought, which is the fulfillment of the prophecies. Through Jesus Christ the sinner can became righteous and have the authority of God’s children.

2 Likes

Amen … :earth_africa:

The testament is between God and human, in the old testament, it’s between God and Israel, in the new testament, it’s between God and those who believe in Jesus. In the OT, people live under the law, in the NT, people live in the grace. The OT is to prepare the NT.