What is your biggest fear about marriage?

The biggest fear that I have in marriage is when the relationship didn’t went well as you expected and you are in the midst of “against all odds” between your in-laws. It’s not easy to have a relationship where your in-laws doesn’t like you and you don’t know where to stand every time. At first they like me, but due to the way I handle our finances they dislike me. They are not in favor for us to save for our future family, instead they wanted us to give them all what we have worked for. So I am fearing that they will hate me forever for making our family a priority than them. :pensive:

Hello, dear @MakkaPakka
I speak in my experience from the other side, my family didn’t like my last girlfriend and it was a pretty difficult situation. What she said to me is that she wanted to be with me and she could better the relationship with time.
But it shouldn’t be like that in a marriage, as you say you are family now. They have to understand and not judge the way you manage your finances and your life, because you don’t have bad intentions.
Talk with them, and make it clear your intentions. Sometimes by shame we don’t really say what it needs to be said. So don’t be afraid, our Father is with you and he will not let you down.
To me, fear in marriage is to be in loved alone, in a relationship you can always end that, but a marriage is not that.
I’ll have you in my prayers.
Kind regards, Luis Guerrero

1 Like

Actually there are a ton of fears about marriage. Biggest one would be ‘sacrifices’ (one of the biggest fears of today’s youngsters) each of the partners must be made to let the ship sail smoother without tilting or losing its balance. Sacrifices keep on increases day by day from the very first day of getting hitched to your partner. Those sacrifices are never ending and the list goes on.

Hello there @Luis_Ruiz! Interference of in-laws really plays a big impact in marriage… in our situation, they keep on suggesting things for the better of “our family” rather than letting US couple decide what is best for US. I am open to suggestions, but I hate being reprimanded. Hopefully, they will give us a chance to grow by our own and stop being manipulative in all ways. May God always bless my family!

Hello there @Valerie! In marriage, we need to weigh which one to sacrifice. Not at all times that we need to sacrifice our own for the sake of other people. Balance is the key! :wink:

When it comes to marriage, we have to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. As long as both the husband and wife has strong faith in God, that family will be able to withstand all challenges that they will encounter. And I am speaking from experience.
As for the issues with in-laws, that problem happens because God’s plan for the family is not being followed.

Gen 2:24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

We can see here that the wife and husband should become one and a separate unit from their father and mother.

Even Jethro, Moses’ father in law just gave an advice to Moses. Even though Jethro is a priest of Midian.

Exodux 18:19 Hearken now unto my voice, I will give thee counsel, and God shall be with thee:

As for my fear, I’m afraid that I may not be giving my best for my family. Although, we are no longer experiencing any problems now, I still have that fear that I may become too complacent if everything is smooth sailing. Prior to this, me and my wife also had our own fair share of problems.

If ever, it could be the risk of one of us will give up our relationship and choose to be selfish.

Fear when Jesus is no longer the center of our marriage.

The possibilities that my husband will become my idol.

Hi there @yevillanueva! The interference of my in-laws is annoying because they let me feel aloof all the time. Whenever there are gatherings before, they will not let me know nor even have the courage to let me know. I never expected that they will be my biggest problem in the long run, because I thought they understand Genesis 2:24… I am continuously praying for my feelings towards them like my patience coz as of this moment I have hard time dealing with them.