What's the meaning the tithes?

Do you always hand in your tilthes all the time?

“Tithe” means a tenth or 10 percent. The tithing system described in the Bible was designed specifically to meet the needs of the religious, economic and political system of ancient Israel. Each of the twelve tribes of Israel, except the tribe of Levi, initially received an allotment of land in the promised land of Canaan. The Levites were assistants to Israel’s priests and were supported by a tithe offering from other eleven tribes. All families of those eleven tribes were to give a tenth of all produce, flocks, and cattle to the Levites. In turn, the Levites were to give a tenth of that to support the priests (Leviticus 27:30-33, Numbers 18:21-28). Tithes were also used to meet the needs of foreigners, orphans and widows. (Deuteronomy 26:12-13)
In addition, everyone was to be generous with those in need:

If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother. Rather be openhanded and freely lend him whatever he needs. (NIV, Deuteronomy 15:7-8)

2 Likes

Rather than give a certain amount as an obligation, we are urged to share generously of whatever talents, abilities and wealth God has entrusted to us.

Tithes mean giving God a tenth of all things on Earth.
The tithe is a beautiful confession of faith that we have gained fruit because of God’s grace and help. The Psalmist said that “Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain.” (Psalm 127:1) No matter how hard a farmer may try to plow the field and fertilize, and no matter how perfect the timing of his sowing is, if God does not give the sunlight and rain, he may harvest no fruit. The fruit we reap from any work is because God enables and supports it, not because of our efforts only. Though invisible, we should acknowledge and give thanks to God who works for us. Though we should give all things back to Him, we give a tenth of what we earn as a token of gratitude with praises. Furthermore, we should not only give our materials but also our lives and time holy and distinguished, not stealing from Him.

It is the humble confession that all of us are belong to God.

For me, it is a way to give thanks to God because God gives me everything. Every time, when i give the offering, it reminds me all the grace, love and blessings that God poured out to me generously.

It stands for our possession belongs to God. It is God sovereignty. And Through tilthes, we give our thankfulness to God. It is should be the first part of income.

Malachi 3:10
Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house.Test me in this,:“says the lord almighty.” and see if I will not throw open the the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you Will not have room enough for it.

Malachi says to keep the storehouses full. It’s the job of us to give tithes, the job of the church to oversee the work. Tithes are not for the church’s light bill

1 Like